Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Apple Vision Pro

tony_bishop871tony_bishop871 Member Posts: 1 PRO
When will it come to Onshape??!!

Comments

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2023
    Something else distracted me for a second, but I believe during the WWDC Keynote, when they were talking about the Vision Pro, that they did mention PTC, and they showed a brief portion of video at that time, which I think was about a virtual reality view of equipment, maybe in a factory environment

Wouldn’t be at all surprised if PTC people are there at Apple’s headquarters right now

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,717 PRO
    edited June 2023

Finally! Looks like apple glasses are still 4 years away or so, but these will do B)

There is an improvement request here so that we will have an Onshape app for Apple's new spatial platform:
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/21109/onshape-app-for-apple-vision-pro/p1?new=1

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 669 PRO
    Yeah, I watched the whole thing. I saw the PTC robot arm segment also. I think this product will take off. Apple will probably sell as many as they can make. Besides the entertainment industry, the thing I saw most useful was replacing all monitors with one. I struggle with 2 screens to organize my work, and don't have much desk space for more. I can see offices buying these for their workers eventually.
  • Options
    adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    If the image quality is anything near what they said, I see this replacing a lot of monitors in a professional setting

Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Options
    sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 400 PRO
    There is an old article about Onshape and Magic Leap from October 2018:
    https://develop3d.com/develop3d-blog/onshape-first-live-collaborative-3d-cad-editing-app-for-magic-leap-ar-mr-vr/

It would be great to hear if there are any plans to release an Onshape VR / AR app  B)
  • Options
    Dean_GardnerDean_Gardner Member Posts: 88 PRO
    I presume though that it will work on a virtual screen through web browser as normal.  Issue is how you interact with it.
  • Options
    sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 400 PRO
    @mlaflecheCAD @richard_doyle @too_tall_toby @alnis

"ChatGPT Presents... 'Alnis: License to CAD - A Tale of Speed, Tech, and One Man's Battle Against the Laws of Lag'"

> Welcome to the thrilling CAD Speed Modeling World Championship, where CAD masters battle for glory and the fate of the world hangs in the balance.

> Alnis, the reigning champion and secret agent for the CAD Intelligence Agency (CIA), was on a mission. Armed with the newest prototype of the Apple Vision Pro, equipped with an advanced version of Onshape, he was tasked by his boss, Mike "The Professor" LaFlesh, to defend his title while saving the world from a dastardly plot.

> On stage, Alnis was a sight to behold. With a flick of his eyes and a swift motion of his hands, intricate 3D models sprang to life in Onshape. His eye control was unmatched, his movements, fluid and precise. He was not just competing, he was performing.

> Across the stage, Dr. Lag, the villainous competitor, was preparing his attempt to crash the system. He was sure that his complex design would overload the system and cause chaos. He smirked as he hit 'enter,' anticipating the imminent crash.

> But the crash never came. Onshape, with its cloud-based platform backed up by multiple servers, was unscathed. Dr. Lag's smirk faded as he frantically checked his codes, only to realize his mistake: You can't crash a cloud.

> Meanwhile, Alnis finished his design and, with a swift voice command, uploaded the antidote to the CIA. From the crowd, Richard Doyle, the CIA's top agent trainer, gave a subtle nod. Mission accomplished.

> "And...time!" announced TooTallToby. The crowd erupted in cheers. Alnis had done it—he'd defended his title and saved the world.

> So here's to Alnis, the James Bond of the CAD world. With his Vision Pro and Onshape, he demonstrated that true power lies in skill, precision, and the right tools. And as for Dr. Lag? Well, he learned a valuable lesson: Never underestimate the power of the cloud.

• Options

It's spatial. From what I can tell, it will still work with 2d apps but also has full 3d functionality. Like the iPhone, I think this will change everything.

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    There is an old article about Onshape and Magic Leap from October 2018:
    https://develop3d.com/develop3d-blog/onshape-first-live-collaborative-3d-cad-editing-app-for-magic-leap-ar-mr-vr/

It would be great to hear if there are any plans to release an Onshape VR / AR app  B)
    I got a chance to try this one, it was underwhelming honestly, the graphics on the Magic Leap where just not good.
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Options
    I presume though that it will work on a virtual screen through web browser as normal.  Issue is how you interact with it.
    You can still use a mouse and keyboard with this headset (from the videos I've seen), but ideally it would get it's own AR/VR app, to take full advantage of spacial controls/gestures and immersion
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Options
    Theo_RTheo_R Member Posts: 81 PRO
    edited June 2023
    I believe Apple Vision Pro + Onshape has enormous potential.

Way back - we tried Magic Leap w an Onshape demo. Agreed, graphics not good enough.
    Tried Quest v1 w Keyshot, starting to get somewhere.
    We never got to try Hololens.

We'll invest in headsets if/when enough apps come online.
    Great to replace multiple monitors. Great on a airplane as well.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,366 PRO
    I tried the first HoloLens. It was a joke. The image was so small and faint.

It does seem like CAD will be a huge opportunity for Vision Pro. Certainly it's a market that could afford the price.

• Options
    S1mon said:
    I tried the first HoloLens. It was a joke. The image was so small and faint.

It does seem like CAD will be a huge opportunity for Vision Pro. Certainly it's a market that could afford the price.

Yeah, the biggest difference with this vs HoloLens and MagicLeap, is that is not actually AR, so you are not seeing the "real world" thru a transparent glass, but thru a video passthrough. Meaning the graphics are going to look way better (actually solid).
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Options

After going over the AV Pro specs a few more times, I'm really stoked to try these things out! The concept of AR and VR has been around for a while, but the technology just hasn't quite been there to use it seriously.