Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Need some help with design, thank you.

k_vwk_vw Member Posts: 6
Hello everyone, I'm new to 3d drawing and Oneshape and I've already watched several YT videos from which I've learned quite a bit.

But now I don't know what the best approach is for the next design and which tool to use.

I'd love to design the ribs in the tray, like in the picture, but I really don't know how to get started.

I have already designed the tray.

Can someone help me with this please?

Thanks.

Best Answers

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,898 PRO
    Answer ✓
    Select the inside face of your channel, and sketch a slot shape then extrude it, then pattern

I would start with a line, then use the slot tool (it's under the drop down menu for offset in the sketch tools)
    Dimension the slots how you need them

Extrude new

Mirror New

Part Pattern, Add, merge all

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 668 PRO
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    @k_vw

Nice job. From a manufacturing perspective, it might be a good idea to have the bottoms of the ribs merge with the bottom of the C-channel, and get rid of the radius on their bottom. This way, your 3D printer won't need any support to print this part.

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Select the inside face of your channel, and sketch a slot shape then extrude it, then pattern

I would start with a line, then use the slot tool (it's under the drop down menu for offset in the sketch tools)
    Dimension the slots how you need them

Extrude new

Mirror New

Part Pattern, Add, merge all

• Options
    Wow, thanks, that's quick and profesional explenation. Will try it tomorrow.  

• Options

Thanks sir, this was realy easy with your professional step by step explanation!

• Options
    Awesome! 
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 668 PRO
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    @k_vw

Nice job. From a manufacturing perspective, it might be a good idea to have the bottoms of the ribs merge with the bottom of the C-channel, and get rid of the radius on their bottom. This way, your 3D printer won't need any support to print this part.
  • Options

Thanks sir, this was realy easy with your professional step by step explanation!

@k_vw

Thanks!