Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

new sketch using a plane from an existing part picks up entire plane - how come?

frank_paynterfrank_paynter Member Posts: 12
URL: Lofting Tutorial | Part Studio 1 (onshape.com)

Complete noob, working my way through Teaching Tech's "Ducts and adaptors" tutorial.  I created a new sketch (Sketch 1) by setting the plane to one plane from 'Complete Mounting Plate'.  Then I set the view to normal to the sketch plane and, using just the line tool, outlined the outer perimeter of the rectangle, but not the long flat part extending below and to the side of the rectangle.  However, when I view the completed sketch, it shows the entire original selected plane from the mounting plate, and I can't seem to delete the extraneous parts.  What am I doing wrong here?  I have (I hope) attached some explanatory images.

TIA,

Frank

Comments

• Options
    billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,015 PRO
    I'm thinking, click on "disable imprint" in the sketch dialog box could fix your concerns.