Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there any way to set Constrained Orbit as the default orbit mode. Especially for mobile

aaron_gorylaaron_goryl Member Posts: 4
Every single 3d modeling program i have used both on my pc and on my iPad tablet have either used a turntable style orbiting mode as the default, or have allowed a setting to make a turntable style orbit mode as the default except onshape. 

Is there some setting that I am missing? or if i want to use onshape i either have to always use the press down the alt key on my PC or just not use the mobile version of this program in order to use turntable style orbiting.

I would like to enjoy learning using this program to see if this would be a great replacement for a different CAD program i am using, but not being able to use turn table style orbit easily is a enormous deal breaker for me. I don't want to have to constantly wrestle with my view perspective every single time I attempt to orbit around an object.

Answers

• Options
    colin_starker933colin_starker933 Member Posts: 13 EDU
    You're not missing anything. There is no way to set normal orbit as the default. For some reason, the devs thought that wibbly-wobbly orbit was acceptable. I hope they fix this.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,411
    You're not missing anything. There is no way to set normal orbit as the default. For some reason, the devs thought that wibbly-wobbly orbit was acceptable. I hope they fix this.
    Not on mobile, but check your mouse preferences on web.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    ephrem_tephrem_t Member Posts: 2
    Every single 3d modeling program i have used both on my pc and on my iPad tablet have either used a turntable style orbiting mode as the default, or have allowed a setting to make a turntable style orbit mode as the default except onshape. 

Is there some setting that I am missing? or if i want to use onshape i either have to always use the press down the alt key on my PC or just not use the mobile version of this program in order to use turntable style orbiting.

I would like to enjoy learning using this program to see if this would be a great replacement for a different CAD program i am using, but not being able to use turn table style orbit easily is a enormous deal breaker for me. I don't want to have to constantly wrestle with my view perspective every single time I attempt to orbit around an object.
    Hey, I was looking for a way to turn off this wibbly wobbly rotation like our friend described and found the setting, "Set default rotation behavior to constrained rotate" in the Preferences, Mouse Control section.