Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to make a grid of thousands of millimeter holes

Hello all,

I have been trying to make a greed of roughly 120mm by 60mm and punching it full of holes.

So I extructed a rectangle, and used repeating pattern to punch holes of 1mm size shaped like hexagons.

But repeating pattern just stops working after so many repetitions (as image shows it stopped after repeating the first two rows of the grid 8 times).

Is there a way to repeat this simple shape a thousand times or more to make a fine grid ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Answers

• Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 279
    edited June 2023
    I'd just make one hole (though maybe two if they're hexagonal), then use the linear pattern feature (i.e., not in the sketch) to pattern the resulting faces.

(I should also drop the requisite cautionary note that modeling thousands of holes in parametric CAD should be avoided if at all possible.)
  • Options
    David_YL_NguyenDavid_YL_Nguyen Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 90
    Hey @alexis_garnier767,

I would also recommend to use "face pattern" instead of a feature pattern, that should result in better performance if you have a lot of instances.
    You can check out this Tech Tip for more info: https://www.onshape.com/en/resource-center/tech-tips/tech-tip-how-to-create-faster-patterns-in-onshape
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    Also take a look at the custom feature “fill pattern” (click on + menu, top right to find it). Probably the fastest method. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    I think @NeilCooke is right that Fill Pattern is the way to do this if you've gotta, and everyone here is right that you should NOT do this unless you've gotta. It's going to be slow no matter what.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl