Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Francis turbine | Spiral case | Weird loft along path

petr_bláha69petr_bláha69 Member Posts: 6 EDU
I am working on a Francis turbine school project that will be used for a fluid flow demonstration and for a real 3D printed model. But at the moment I'm stuck on modeling the spiral case.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/03aa0b510e7bf1da4c64e519/w/c6e545882276973a5ed4feb1/e/6fa7e6f6599d3ae023813181?configuration=snaildiam=0.2+meter;snailsize=0.08+meter&renderMode=0&uiState=649160d46cbcaf67f6d2430e

I have the first sketch in the top plane as a snail trajectory for "Loft" along the path. Next to this path I have other planes with circles corresponding to the cross section of the spiral tube. When I loft from one cross section to the other, I get an object, but this shape is weakened in the middle and the resulting shape is distorted.

Is it possible to make the resulting shape in Onshape so that the Loft transitions evenly from larger to smaller?

Thanks for any idea :-)

Comments

• Options
    David_YL_NguyenDavid_YL_Nguyen Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 90
    Hey @petr_bláha69,

Is it possible that you are using an education licence of Onshape? In that case you need to make the document public.
    I tried to open your link but was not able to access.

Thanks,
    David

• Options
    Hi David, you are correct, I am using Edu version. Now document is public.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to Onshape. Please take a look at the document linked below. The approach used was to loft from the intended beginning of the loft to the intended end using the path you created and then split the loft using the existing planes. Perhaps the results are what you are after. - Scotty

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible to make the resulting shape in Onshape so that the Loft transitions evenly from larger to smaller?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/58f0590e783b3bab7b7cbc6c/w/7a147a74c899c518d2178d51/e/9b7604138d7fef1c0f95e4cd

Take a look at the end conditions of the loft to see if you want to incorporate what is showing

• Options
    Hi Scotty,
    thanks for the advice, but there are still errors in this shape. Looking from the left view you can see that the final tube is smaller than the initial circle :-(

Petr
  • Options
    Hi Scotty,
    thanks for the advice, but there are still errors in this shape. Looking from the left view you can see that the final tube is smaller than the initial circle :-(

Petr
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    @petr_bláha69

I’ve added 2 Part Studios

With regards to the below definitions for the part studios — all three part studios are to be viewed from overhead looking downward, i.e. from TOP VIEW

Circular Inside —

The inside edge of the horn is circular

Circular Centerline —

The center of the horn is circular

Roughly Circular Inside —

The inside edge of the horn is roughly circular

• Options
    @petr_bláha69

I’ve added 2 Part Studios

With regards to the below definitions for the part studios — all three part studios are to be viewed from overhead looking downward, i.e. from TOP VIEW

Circular Inside —

The inside edge of the horn is circular

Circular Centerline —

The center of the horn is circular

Roughly Circular Inside —

The inside edge of the horn is roughly circular

Thanks Steve,

this is better, but still unacceptable, because the curve defining the spiral tube is not a circle, but a spiral.
  • Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    I got curious about this and looked at the loft feature and played around with the Match Connections option. I discovered that the default connection (no vertexes selected) looked wonky. I modified sketches 2 and 3 to put vertexes in logical positions on the circles of the sketches. I used those vertexes in the Match Conditions option in the Circular Centerline Copy and the loft looks much better. Is this the result you are looking for?

-Scotty
  • Options
    @petr_bláha69

Check my document above
    There is now an inside spiral

• Options
    @petr_bláha69

I’ve added another part studio
    This one follows a spiral that is at the center of the horn