Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Imported model is hollow, need fix

first off i'm new to CAD, been learning Onshape for 3d printing. I have a .SLDPRT file (solidworks?) that is hollow. i've trie dmany of the methods i've sene online to fill it, but i cannot seem to ackomplish the task. intersted if anyone can tell me how to fix this model. the helmet had a visor that i deleted because i need to make that seperatly out of acrylic, and that where i discovered it wasn't solid. i can see the edges bu ti cannot close them, i've tried thicken, extrude, enclose and nothing. again i'm new so any help would would be awesome.
can't attached the file, but it's here https://grabcad.com/library/daft-punk-helmet-4

Answers

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,070 PRO
    Ideally you can solve it by importing a different file type or using different settings. If you're not in a hurry, maybe the creator would be willing to export a parasolid file for you.

Failing that, I think you'll have to use surfacing tools to fill the gaps. Fill and Loft are your friend here, and don't try to close it all in one feature either. Do it with surface patches.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    nicholas_pruddennicholas_prudden Member Posts: 4
    Ideally you can solve it by importing a different file type or using different settings. If you're not in a hurry, maybe the creator would be willing to export a parasolid file for you.

Failing that, I think you'll have to use surfacing tools to fill the gaps. Fill and Loft are your friend here, and don't try to close it all in one feature either. Do it with surface patches.
    i don't think i can get a better model file, so repair is the onyl way. i tried loft and fill and i can't seem to get them to work onthe surfaces i can select. how would i close the red boundries in the screenshot?
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,070 PRO
    I just imported that model and it came in as a solid. I think you may have used the Delete Face feature which will leave it open. I did it with an extrude instead like this: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a0f0b5bc7add6cfa3df4faf4/w/b86b80d2fa8a995c50291f24/e/bfa90b8c54925fd684fef3b1
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl