Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

I just upgraded to Pro. What happened to "owned by me"?

jim_wilson436jim_wilson436 Member Posts: 23 PRO

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,416
    In Onshape Professional, all documents are owned by the company, in this case, Aeon Laboratories.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Hi Neil. Thank you for your answer, but it's not quite that simple.

The "Insert parts and assemblies" feature differs from what I see when I open onshape:

Notice the "Owned by me" option. It is distinct from the "Aeon Laboratories" option. And if I click on "Owned by me", I'm presented with the documents and folder structure that I have been working with since I first began using onshape:

I want to be able to access this structure when I insert parts and assemblies. Why is this not an option?

Jim
  • Options
    oh, right, I see what you mean. You can either try the "Created by me" filter, or you can transfer ownership of your folder to the company (right-click the folder).
  • Options
    Well, the "Created by me" filter doesn't let me navigate the folder structure. And I don't really want to transfer everything to the company. Why did that need to be created, anyway?

Can't I just be a Pro without being a company? :smile:

I want just a few of the Pro features (like Render Studio, and maybe PCB studio), but I don't want to have to change my work flow. Everything I do is public domain, so I don't need (or want) all the IP stuff.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 676 PRO
    I went from a paid "basic" subscription for my first year, to a paid "pro" subscription. All the work prior was "owned by me". And new work is "owned by company". I changed all owned by me ownership to owned by company. Except for my personal hobby stuff, I kept that "owned by me".

Now, if I open the "owned by me" folder on the left side of the screen, and create new parts in there, they will be owned by me. If you make all your new parts in there, I believe your workflow would not change at all.

All that said, the only difference I found in owned by me and owned by company, is professional subscripiton specific things like part properties, items, rev control, BOM templates, etc. are only for "owned by company". So I don't think it makes any difference otherwise?
  • Options
    It really makes zero difference.
  • Options
    It might make zero difference if all of your documents are company documents. But no longer being able to navigate your "own" folder hierarchy when inserting or deriving parts is certainly different.
    There are workarounds. I can search, for example. Or move my stuff. However, I don't understand why the functionality is removed for Pro users from within documents, when the tree is present, valid, specifically pertains to me as a user, and it is accessible from the document window. To be sure, I'm glad it *is* there.
    Being an older fella :smile:, I sometimes forget what I called a thing, or what document I put it in. However, I can navigate the tree, with its folders classified in a way that's logical and natural to me, and easily locate the item.
    I don't mean to be petty, but it's a useful functionality, I miss it, and I see no reason for it to be gone just because I paid $2,500 for other features.

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 676 PRO
    I just tried what you are talking about of inserting parts into an assy, and the folder structure of "owned by me" is gone when selecting the filter "created by me".

Not exactly what you want, but maybe this will help: Sometimes I will open a document and then close it quickly. Then go to an assy to insert a part from that document. I will pick the "recently opened" option, and it will be right at the top. Even when I know where a part is in my folder structure, sometimes this seems faster and easier.
  • Options
    sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 401 PRO

At our recent German User Group meeting with @Tanja_Hofmann and @fnxf_scewo, we delved deep into this common concern. For those who've lost visibility of the "Owned by me" category entirely after upgrading, I've pinpointed a method to bring it back.

When users transition to the Pro version, the system automatically assigns document ownership to the company, making the "Owned by me" category vanish from the Onshape dashboard (Neil, I'd appreciate if you could confirm this behavior).

To resurrect the "Owned by me" category:

1. Right-click on a document.
    2. Opt to transfer ownership back to yourself, ensuring you use the email address tied to your Pro account.
    3. Upon completing this, your document should reappear in the "Owned by me" category.
    4. It might be necessary to refresh your browser one time to visualize the changes.

I believe this straightforward process should restore the category for anyone who's missing it.

• Options
    fnxffnxf Member, User Group Leader Posts: 137 PRO
    edited September 2023

At our recent German User Group meeting with @Tanja_Hofmann and @fnxf , we delved deep into this common concern. For those who've lost visibility of the "Owned by me" category entirely after upgrading, I've pinpointed a method to bring it back.

When users transition to the Pro version, the system automatically assigns document ownership to the company, making the "Owned by me" category vanish from the Onshape dashboard (Neil, I'd appreciate if you could confirm this behavior).

To resurrect the "Owned by me" category:

1. Right-click on a document.
    2. Opt to transfer ownership back to yourself, ensuring you use the email address tied to your Pro account.
    3. Upon completing this, your document should reappear in the "Owned by me" category.
    4. It might be necessary to refresh your browser one time to visualize the changes.

I believe this straightforward process should restore the category for anyone who's missing it.

So if @nick_papageorge073 and @jim_wilson436 still have this issue, the steps above are what's needed to bring the category back.

Final result:
    Start with a document where the owner is not you, make a right click, select *Transfer ownership..."

and choose the address you want to be the owner. In my case, it's the same e-mail address I use for Onshape, but then that E-Mail is the owner, and not the company anymore.

Tip of the hat to @sebastian_glanzner for finding the workaround (or path?) to restore it.

• Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    I thought this is what you were discussing in German at the meeting. :) Hope to join you at the next one.
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    Sadly, this does not restore "Owned by me" to the Insert feature when building assemblies. This is where it is needed most.
  • Options
    sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 401 PRO
    @jim_wilson436 You are right, that is odd.

What a good workaround could be is, to create a Team and call it "Owned by me". Then you have to share all folders and documents in the Owned by me section.

If you then insert a part in an assembly, you can click on the team and see the folder structure.

Is this working for you?