Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Creating a sinusoidal cut on a cylinder

daniel_jacob753daniel_jacob753 Member Posts: 4 PRO
Hi there, does anyone know how to make a sinusoidal cut on a cylinder?  First, I made a sketch using defined points and a spline to make a sine wave.

Then I wrapped this around the cylinder.  I was not able to directly cut at this point, so I wrapped as a surface.

Then I tried to cut this.  Created a section as shown here.  Constrained it to be parallel to the central axis.

Then I swept this.  None of the sweep options align with what I need.  If I keep the sketch oriented, I get this...

If I do not orient I get this...

I've been considering creating a second wrapped sinusoidal surface on the ID and then (hopefully) being able to get an accurate solid from a merge of the two.  That will be a good bit of work and not sure I'll get what I want, which is a cut that follows the sine wave on the outside and is perpendicular to the outer cylinder.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    Try this as a sample to get started. Note that I made the cylinder sketch as #diameter+0.001in to increase the circumference other wise I get an error if I let the curve wrap exactly fit the surface.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/12d9fbf125e4090eb0e04195/w/c311b64852d9200433a8f7a2/e/6a93ef1aaa6d5e05b1d7f566
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    a sine wave wrapped around a cylinder once is just a straight line cut from the side forming an ellipse, no? Does it need to also update to waves with a frequency higher than 1?
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    daniel_jacob753daniel_jacob753 Member Posts: 4 PRO
    Thank you Glen!  REally appreciate the help.  Let me play with that a bit but I think this might work
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    a sine wave wrapped around a cylinder once is just a straight line cut from the side forming an ellipse, no? Does it need to also update to waves with a frequency higher than 1?

@Evan_Reese
    Yes. The advantage in my sample is from some comments here about cam profiles. May not always be a sine wave needed.