Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

removing embossed text - best way?

jacob_hämmerle039jacob_hämmerle039 Member Posts: 12
I got a model where there is text embossed (-0.5mm)

the text is not parametric anymore but as faces and edges part of the model - so i can probably only remove it by by removing all those faces comprising the embossed text.

they only way i managed to do it is to select all faces that are part of the text (of every letter manually) and use the delete faces feature. I couldnt use the mouse & window select cause it would also select the edges and then the "delete faces" would not work.

what other ways are there that are more efficient? is there a way to select the faces only with window drag - but not the edges ... or whatever?

thx

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,530 PRO
    "create selection"/pocket, would only require one click per letter.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/createselection.htm?Highlight=create selection
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,724 PRO

If you already have the Delete face feature open, a window select should only select the faces.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    jacob_hämmerle039jacob_hämmerle039 Member Posts: 12

If you already have the Delete face feature open, a window select should only select the faces.

holy shit - that was it

thanks for both of your answers!
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Sounds solved, but sometimes it's easier to just sketch a rectangle over it and extrude to fill it in
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,388 PRO
    edited August 2023
    @Evan_Reese said:
    Sounds solved, but sometimes it's easier to just sketch a rectangle over it and extrude to fill it in
    That's pretty valid with imported CAD, but you're giving me PTSD flashbacks of looking at parts from people who are new to parametric modeling where they just keep adding feature after feature instead of deleting/editing/reordering their tree.
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    S1mon said:
    That's pretty valid with imported CAD, but you're giving me PTSD flashbacks of looking at parts from people who are new to parametric modeling where they just keep adding feature after feature instead of deleting/editing/reordering their tree.
    Oh yeah, that's an important caveat for sure. Imports have slightly different rules than a scratch build. In the case of a scratch build you'd not want to see either of these methods when you could just delete the feature making the text, haha! Your point stands though.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl