Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Trim to surface of a revolve

dan_cumminsdan_cummins Member Posts: 4
I am basically generating a revolve that looks like a baseball bat.....easy enough.  I then want to flatten two parallel cheeks of the bat.  I would like the revolve surface and the cheeks to be one surface.  I would like the ability to fillet between the revolved surface and the cheeks.  So I generated the revolve, and to make the cheeks I split/cut the revolve with two parallel planes and cut off the cheeks.

I need to know how replace the cheeks I sliced off with a flat surface......I can draw a rectangular sketch on the cheek plane, but I do not know how to trim to the edge of the revolve cheek cut.

Thx in advance!

DC

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    @dan_cummins
    Is there a reason you are starting with surfaces, rather than a solid revolve (with an interior cavity), a solid extrude remove (one feature with two rectangles would flatten the cheeks) and then fillet the resulting solid?
    Onshape is currently a lot more capable in solids than in surfaces, and a shape like this seems to lend itself to solids, to my way of thinking.
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    @dan_cummins

I probably should answer the question you actually asked, because the answer may be helpful in general, if not in particular.

If you are wedded to surfaces for this job (and there may be a reason I'm unaware of, or a wrinkle I've overlooked) you could do a 'Replace Face' to replace the not-flat cheeks* with the plane #1 or #2 you'd prepared earlier.

Don't be misled when "Replace Face asks for a face or surface: It will accept a plane instead, and in general this sort of undocumented permissiveness (not mentioned in Help, either) tends to be true for Onshape

I would probably model this as a 180 deg revolve, and deal with one cheek only, then mirror the resulting solid, to cut down the superfluous features and be certain of a symnmetrical result.

* For the benefit of others (and initially I was mystified too, because the graphic does not make the cheeks appear hollow)
    Looking at the tree, and taking the OP at his word when he implies that the revolve is a surface entity, rather than a solid one: the side cheeks appear to result from thickening the outer surface.
    Consequently (if I have guessed right) they are normal to the local face adjoining the edge they share with that face.
    Hence (I assume) they are hollow.
  • Options
    Discovered the issue.  My revolve profile was not closed on one end, so OS would only let me generate a surface.  Close the end in sketch, and boom, I could revolve as a solid.  I used the offset planes to split fuse, and I am all set.

I keep having to remember, if it gets to hard, I must have missed something simple......

Thx!

DC