Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What are some possible causes of a blank drawing sheet not loading in Chrome?

james_curryjames_curry Member Posts: 3 EDU
I teach a high school class with 28 windows computer using Chrome to access Onshape all at once.  I have taught this class for 3 years using Onshape and something happened over the summer which my IT guys are saying is not our network.
Here is the scenario: after they create a part, they hit the plus symbol in the bottom left, select Create Drawing, select the proper template, and then about half of them get a drawing sheet right away and the other half get an icon that just spins and spins.  After about 15 seconds, I have them refresh the entire page and after about 3 or 4 cycles of this, they eventually get a drawing sheet.  This happens on my computer as well of the students.
This never used to happen.  The drawing sheet used to always just pull right up.  All of the computers are hardwired to the school's network.
To help test the problem, I had a student load Onshape on a Microsoft Edge browser and the drawing sheet popped right up.
Any thoughts?
This never happens on a Chrome browser on my home computer.
My theory is when a drawing sheet is being loaded, Onshape is making multiple calls somewhere that if they are delayed due to a sluggish network, the page stalls loading.  On the 3rd or 4th refresh, they are just "getting lucky" without any delays and the page loads.  I have now survived 2 weeks of this headache.  My IT department has closed the ticket saying it is not them.
Have you ever seen this behavior before?
What other things could I try on the computers in my classroom to help alleviate this problem?
Thanks for your help.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,375 PRO
    Answer ✓
    It may be better to report this directly to Onshape support (under the help menu AKA question mark in the upper right - hit "contact support"). You've described a very clear situation and I expect that they can help diagnose this in more detail.

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,375 PRO
    Answer ✓
    It may be better to report this directly to Onshape support (under the help menu AKA question mark in the upper right - hit "contact support"). You've described a very clear situation and I expect that they can help diagnose this in more detail.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick reply.  I will do that.
  • Options
    isaac_torres630isaac_torres630 Member Posts: 2 EDU
    I'm running into the same issue and it also won't load on Microsoft Edge. Did they help you fix the problem?
  • Options
    No.  Not really.  And it is quite annoying.
    Because it always works great for me at home, I am positive it is the congestion on my school's network coupled with the way Onshape has chosen to build a drawing sheet.
    We just deployed LightSpeed this year to monitor student's Chromebooks and it added a Chrome extension to every browser.
    My theory is when there is a delay on your network because of high network traffic, Onshape losses it's place of what is was loading and gets stuck.
    So even if I am right, I will never be able to convince either party to change.  I want Onshape to change to become less sensitive to time delays to load the drawing sheet, but how can I convince them to do that.  My school network admins says everything is in acceptable levels, so they will never change either.
    Maybe you have some more details you can bring to Onshape's attention.
    I hope that was helpful.