Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

I am having real issues getting sketches fully defined

DebianDogDebianDog Member Posts: 4
I have been really trying, but for the life of me I am having a hard time getting things to become full defined.  I am going through the classes now, and it told me I was over defined so I deleted one constraint.  Now nothing is fully defined.  What more could be defined?  I am missing something obvious but I am just not seeing it.

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,436
    Right click the 6 and make it a driving dimension. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Try making the point at bottom end of vertical line that is 100 long coincident with the origin. It is a common practice to start sketches from the existing planes and origin.  When you make mirrored sketch entities or parts the working planes become usable with out creating new planes or lines. As it stands your sketch is not fixed to any thing and can be dragged any where. You could also use the fix constraint on the point described above.
    If you must have the sketch offset then add horizontal and vertical dimensions to origin.
  • Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    Hello DebianDog. See the image below for the over constrained problem. Your sketch is good except for the fact that the whole sketch is not anchored to anything in the atmosphere you are working in. Mouse select the entire sketch and grab the Transform tool (grouped along the the linear and circular pattern tools) and use the square of the tool to move the sketch so the circle of the tool is over the origin and snaps to it and hit the left mouse button to finish. As noted before, if possible, it's a good practice to start a sketch at the origin. - Scotty

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    What Robert said is correct. See branch B1. I had redrawn the whole sketch before I found that. Then deleted original sketch and transformed the new sketch to the origin which fixed all in place. Also included some new features that are more recent than lesson plan that you might like. Fillet using full round looks nicer for the top edge of the cup. A distinct plane is not required for the handle profile. You can use an implied mate connecter from the sweep path to make this profile. This reduces the feature list and will follow any movements of sweep path.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/64e959b129e3204eb8d149a9/w/2a22727a73893b6410806f1b/e/38a6ea048ca314a3d7f874f8