Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Large file manipulation a problem.

peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
I imported a large IGES file today, (640 parts). It is a customer part so I cannot make it public. I tried to group all parts together in an assembly  had to hand pick each one and it took hours to accomplish this. Then needed to hide certain parts to work out some process methods, it was very slow and firefox crashed several times. So I am thinking that Onshape is a good tool for small/medium sized modeling but as it is in the cloud it has limitations on larger projects as of 2015.

Comments

• Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    @peter_hall

See the discussion here...
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/1711/graphics-js-problems

Raise your support hand within the document too... feedback function.

• Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    I have no doubt that somewhere in that thread i pointed out how 'heavy' IGES surfaces are.
    Read the thread but I bet that your performance will be significantly better starting with a Parasolid (or STEP) file :)

Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    @philip_thomas ... If @peter_hall can't get something other than an IGES file from his contact, could he then round trip a parasolid or STEP output?
  • Options
    philip_thomasphilip_thomas Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,381
    Pete - i did test what Onshape does if it's just surfaces and we do try to sew trimmed surfaces (ent 144) into solid bodies. If they sew then the performance should be the same as any other document with the same number of bodies. My suspicion with IGES is always that it doesn't sew completely and that one is left with a large number of surfaces that (a) are computationally heavy and (b) cannot be imported into assemblies (yet).
    Philip Thomas - Onshape
  • Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    @pete-yodis and @philip_thomas
    Once I got the IGES file onto Onshape I did indeed export as a parasolid and then brought it back into an Onshape document. I will try manipulating it tomorrow, on first impression it works quicker and easier, everything is there so hopefully this might be the answer. As Pete said if the customer sends an IGES file (I did ask for parasolid or step) then that is what I need to manipulate and work with. I woul like to add although taking a lot of the day it is still an improvement on only getting photos or pdf files to view and quote on.

Ok I can now confirm that manipulating the file today was easier once it was converted to a parasolid.