Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to place a part exactly horizontal in an assembly.

lars_anderssonlars_andersson Member Posts: 20
I have missed how to place parts exactly level in an assembly so they come aligned to vertical and horizontal in the drawing.
Now I rotate them so they look okay by eyesight, I do not think the parts snap to exact position.
There seems to be no planes in assembly?

Best Answer

Answers

• peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    I would use the fasten command to bring two parts together in the assembly then use offset to offset them apart. you can offset in any of the three directions x,y,z by a dimension of your choice.
  • andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    The (presumably temporary) lack of planes makes it important to position the first part carefully.
    When you insert it from the part studio, it will come in orthogonal to the viewing axes, and you need to "Fix" it.

refer this video
    https://www.onshape.com/learn/essential-training-series#!lesson-number=4&title=assembly-basics

starting about 1m

Any parts you mate to it will automatically be horizontal and vertical to the standard view directions.
  • lars_anderssonlars_andersson Member Posts: 20
    Will using a mate connector to the origin work for you?  Like so:

The block was originally rotated randomly in space and using the revolute mate connector in the direction I wanted got it back aligned with the origin.  I'm assuming the revolute mate connector aligns the axis initially, but may be wrong and I just got lucky.  Now, how this movement will affect the rest of your assembly, I can't say.  At least the undo button works well though.
    Exactly to the point. Works great for me. I did not suspect that the origin had a mate connector.

• andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    @matthew_menard

Great mate tip, mate! (we cross-posted, which is why I didn't acknowledge in my earlier post)

Presumably in most cases a "Fastened" mate 
    to the origin would be the most desirable choice ?