Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Quick Question on Filtering Sketch Entities

james_hulliberger710james_hulliberger710 Member Posts: 5
I sometimes struggle to be able to select a Line, or a Point in a sketch.  Other lines and sketched get in the way.  Is there an option to like hold down a button on the keyboard to only select a certain type of entity?

Like, hold down Shift+S for only select Lines, or ALT+S for only select Points?  It would be handy to be able to filter out other types when making selections, sometimes.

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    Right-click "select other" or press the keyboard button above TAB. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Neil is right. Use the "~" key when mousing over it to "select other". press the key repeatedly till it highlights what you want. I do sometimes miss my entity filters from Solidworks though.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    Nope, that's not what I am looking for.  I don't want to "select something else..."  I want to prevent the cursor from putting focus on types of entities other than the one the keyboard shortcut specifies.  It would be a keyboard shortcut to say, "Just pick lines", or "Just pick Points".
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,417
    Doesn't "other lines get in the way" infer you want to select something else? Anyway, short answer is no, but feel free to create an improvement request in the category on the right ==>
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    Doesn't "other lines get in the way" infer you want to select something else? Anyway, short answer is no, but feel free to create an improvement request in the category on the right ==>

That was  typo.    I meant to say "Other entities" get in the way.  It's no time and effort savings to cycle through "Other" when all I'm really wanting is for the point not to get in the way when I'm selecting lines.  It's faster to just zoom in a bit to find that bit of line that allows me to pick it.  If the point (or whatever) did not get in the way I could generally happily click click click on the lines I want and not have to zoom or go through the process of "other".  (which is handy for picking something behind or under, I admit.)

Sorry, I just remember having this option in some other design software (Probably Solidworks, but I can't say for sure, honestly) and found it saved a ton of time and frustration.  I thought it must be ubiquitous to design software to have a keyboard shortcut to filter available entities to pick.
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,388 PRO
    Other tools definitely have ways to filter for entity type. It can be useful but I could see a more general selection building tool being a bigger bang for the development effort.