Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

document syncing?

david_lang457david_lang457 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
I do a fair bit of tinkering with opensource projects where I have no idea who is who and have no reason to trust people not to trash my document if I were to give them access.
I'm a hobbiest, so using the free tier, and so are the others I would work with, so all documents are public.

I can have people make a copy of my document, but they don't see the versions, etc that I have created, and if I then make changes, I don't see a way for them to copy them

Person A creates a public document, it has several versions, and even a couple different heads (main vs experimental for example)
Person B copies the document, it seems they only get a snapshot of main

Is there a way person B can get a snapshot of a version or experimental?

Person A then makes changes

Is there a way for Person B to update their copy to match the new changes that Person A has made?
  or does person B need to delete their copy and make a new copy?

With featurescripts, it tracks the original and prompts you to update when the upstream updates, is there a way to do this with other things?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,412
    If you want them to have access, give them edit rights. If they want to copy a specific version or branch, they can activate that version/branch and copy that. It is a distinct copy with no link back to the original.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    david_lang457david_lang457 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    since I don't have any idea who these people are, I really don't want to give them enough rights to be able to destroy my master doc (90% of the time they are just interested, but there is that small percentage out there who want to make trouble for others)

it's not like there is a corporate relationship where people have been vetted and are known enough to be able to take legal action if they sabotage things