Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sweep pattern on surface

Joakim_KullJoakim_Kull Member Posts: 2
Hello!

I'm trying to create a pattern on a surface consisting of X cuts. For this I've tried using the sweep function with X projected curves with X profile sketches .
The problem is that this is tedious work since I have to model X profile sketches and then create X sweep features. I also want to change the value X without getting too many lost references.
I have recreated a similar design studio that I can share. But the real on has X = approx 100.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b8eb0b754a9c8958675f53a2/w/a5e8f8f338c193578b4ffe7f/e/5f9b2ada480292862b3c5674?renderMode=0&uiState=65293ff96a2c4c3c0df20d83

Ideally I'm looking for a way to draw one profile and then select X curves to sweep this profile on in one feature.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Joakim

Best Answer

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Here's what I think you're after. Let me know if you have questions about what's going on. At an n of 100 it'll probably slow down, but if every sweep path is slightly different I don't see a way around it.

A few notes:
    - I used Offset Surface to make a surface for Intersection Curve. You could just as well use Plane 1, but the surface can be deleted as part of the pattern so it ends up less cluttered.
    - I used my Profile Sweeper feature, but a regular sweep works too. You'll need to pattern the profile sketch too. Or you can make a custom profile on the top plane to use with Profile Sweeper.
    - I used my Linear Pattern Plus feature for convenient even spacing, but some variables and the normal Linear Pattern would work too.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e467e73f74490237388506d4/w/32a3f3089aeab9259bb62386/e/eb4a2e455f5550d605327f1d

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Answers