Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Creating a vertical/horizontal line

blefroy_exsblefroy_exs Member Posts: 14
I'm trying to create a vertical line in a drawing (title block border) but I can't find a way to do it apart from lining it up by eye. Is it possible to create a vertical constraint on a drawing line, or press a shortcut key to snap it to vertical?

Comments

• Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,912 PRO
    edited October 2023
    The sketching tools is Onshape's Drawings tab aren't very good.

You're better off drawing your titleblock in a part studio then insert it into the drawing to make your template.

Or use AutoCAD or DraftSight or some other free 2D cad that can save dxf/dwg/dwt files.

In a part studio, sketch your titleblock
    then right click the sketch and export as DXF

Then choose the download option to "store in new tab"

Then insert the DXF into your drawing

Once you have everything positioned and your text blocks set
    select everything and move to titelblock

• Options
    blefroy_exsblefroy_exs Member Posts: 14
    Thanks John, this is very helpful. Hopefully this will be improved in the near future...?
  • Options
    john_mcclaryjohn_mcclary Member, Developers Posts: 3,912 PRO
    near future? Not likely. I've been requesting full sketching capabilities in drawings since Onshape was in beta.

Do I think it will be available eventually. Yeah, I bet it would. But with the work arounds we have today, it is just barely enough to get by.
    I consider this work around a band-aid until they can develop something better. That seems to be Onshape's way. They don't just copy what everyone else does, they try and do it better. But Onshape is still young and has a way to go. More for some industries than others.