Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mate connectors: What is the side dialog intended for? (just curious)

outstandingoutstanding Member Posts: 56 ✭✭

Above, you see a dialog while I'm hovering on top of that mate.

It looks like I could change the values right from here, but if I move the mouse to the right, the dialog disappears around the "show/hide" icon. I never reach it.

Is it intended to stay put, so I could e.g. edit the entries from here?

What I was trying to reach is driving the mate to certain value, which doesn't seem to be a thing in Onshape. I'll make a separate entry on that.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I think it's just for glanceable info without having to edit it (which is especially important if you don't have edit permissions), but I agree it feels like it should/could do more. Not sure what.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl

Answers

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    Answer ✓
    I think it's just for glanceable info without having to edit it (which is especially important if you don't have edit permissions), but I agree it feels like it should/could do more. Not sure what.
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    BenTaylorBenTaylor Member Posts: 44 PRO
    I agree it feels like it should/could do more.
    I would love the ability to see the current value(s) for mates with DOFs (revolute, slider, etc.) at a quick glance.
    Ben Taylor
    Lead Mechanical Engineer @ Healing Innovations
    Onshape Ambassador
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,516 PRO
    @BenTaylor
    It would be nice if the current position was also shown on there, however just selecting the mate does display the values in the 3D viewport (and provides more context for what the values mean).

@asko_kauppi
    I think I provided an example in another thread on how to set the value (i.e. by selecting the mate by clicking on which displays the current value in the 3D view area)
    Personally I just use the "mouse over" info to help confirm I'm hovering over the correct mate and then just double click if I need to edit something... The "greyed out" look is a hint that it's "read only" information.
  • Options
    outstandingoutstanding Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    BenTaylor said:
    I would love the ability to see the current value(s) for mates with DOFs (revolute, slider, etc.) at a quick glance.
    +1
    ..and be able to edit them, too?

This is why I came to see the dialog - I was looking for ways to set the values. This may be carry-over from other CAD systems, but I was expecting driving to come from some numeric field (or just grabbing the part and moving it, to see the values change). Having the values on top of the CAD seems like disturbance, but I may grow used to it now that I spotted them.

It's like those cases where... I just don't see an object though it's right in front of me.