Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

spiral on non-clyindrical/non-conical surface

IsoThermIsoTherm Member Posts: 66 PRO
Greetings,
I'm trying to draw a cooling loop made from copper tubing wrapped around a non-cylindrical / non-conical surface. Can I wrap a sketch around it to create a path? Use a shell?
Any thoughts on the best way to do that?
Thanks,
Isotherm

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/a9e407372faa056a922fb5d2/w/30951035bbc38480046a9c3a/e/aa3de00f36314f55f768eece?renderMode=0&uiState=654bc91c05477d563ee4dbfe
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,524 PRO
    You can use the projected curve from a helix onto your surface.

However you do need the base surface to be 1) continuous, 2) tangent, you example was neither of these...

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6e92fc831f625b84b813c0c4/w/b6d57474a0b0f1e82e51eb6b/e/4b12a744a3d6ba948d7ad4cf
  • Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,066 PRO
    I like Eric's way. Another way is to use the Contour Spiral custom feature by @Konstantin_Sh. Here's an example of that workflow.

I am showing the regeneration times here because they get pretty bad the more turns the spiral has, and the Profile Sweeper feature (which I wrote) also bogs down because it has a very complex path to sweep on. If you care about those two things you'd want to make a segment of spiral that's just 1 turn, then sweep it, and use a linear pattern to finish the spiral.

To get either of those custom features, right click them in the feature tree and choose, "Open linked document" and add them to your toolbar in the normal way (search "Custom feature" in the help docs if you're unfamiliar).

Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    IsoThermIsoTherm Member Posts: 66 PRO
    Awesome!. Many thanks.