Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

In-Context Reference Loss

Urs_Egger_REACTUrs_Egger_REACT Member Posts: 59 PRO
Hi There, 

A well known problem in many CAD systems is to loose reference edges when geometry changes (e.g. due adding a chamfer to an edge). 
To make referencing more stable I use to reference construction planes and coordinate systems instead of model geometry. 
However I did not find a way to access the construction planes of a part in a "in-context" assembly/model of onshape.  

I also created mate connectors at the reference points, but I could not access these in the "in-context" edit neither. 

How can I do that? 

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,402
    edited January 8
    As of two releases ago, you can now see mate connectors in-context. They must be explicit mate connectors though. Make sure you update the context as well.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Urs_Egger_REACTUrs_Egger_REACT Member Posts: 59 PRO
    Thanks Neil. It seems to work with explicit mate connectors. I'd love to have kind of an advanced global mate connector with all 3 orthogonal planes (as known in other CAD as a global part coordinate system).