Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to Move a Sketch?

matha_goram144matha_goram144 Member Posts: 11 EDU
I've sketched a rectangle (by center) on the top plane. I would like to move it horizontally and vertically by some discrete values. I have two challenges:
  • Firstly, when I try to select the rectangle, only one edge is highlighted. Shouldn't the entire rectangle be selected if I have chosen Rectangle as the Sketch option?
  • Secondly, I am unable to locate any Move operation for the rectangle sketch. Is there one?
Thanks.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 478 PRO
    Answer ✓
     @matha_goram144
    If I understand correctly you should be dimensioning the sketch from a known point (possibly the origin). Don't forget to fully define your sketch (all black). 

Answers

• Options
    As follow-up to my request for help, I found out that I could select all the entities that I want to transform and then use the context menu to select the Transform operation and use the axes on the screen for guidance (or enter precise distances). Is this the correct the way to complete the transform because the entities did displace exactly I entered.

Thanks.
  • Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 478 PRO
    Answer ✓
     @matha_goram144
    If I understand correctly you should be dimensioning the sketch from a known point (possibly the origin). Don't forget to fully define your sketch (all black). 
  • Options
    Yes, I used the origin for the starting point. I was fixated on the search for Move when there is a more intuitive & interactive way. Thanks for the assistance.

Regards.
  • Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    This is parametric CAD so everything has parameters, you draw a rectangle and give it te dimensions and location you desire.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/94dcc0dd6bbff776b3645d66/w/b35d2de509a37f8d70d7a7fb/e/24d423e6189d25aed785c378

• Options
    edited January 11

Off-topic: I was an Intergraph free-lancer masquerading as an AutoCAD salesman nearly 40 years ago, long before PTC struck fear into the hearts of both companies (your keyword parametric). Bewildered by OnShape, naturally.
  • Options
    archie_sellarchie_sell Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, just started Onshape, fusion 360 didn’t like my old computer, but for the operation of lofting which onshape provides, one needs to move an sketch a said or desired distance to create a shape that is transitioned from circle to square (for example) without it being limited to a plane.

But, just found out, if you head to the tool bar and click on plane then proceed to click on any axis it will allow a new plane to be created, the new plane can then be moved to a desired distance to created another sketch for lofting. So instead of moving the sketch you create a new plane for that sketch to be created on. would post a vid, but screen recorder crashes