Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Need help splitting long part so it can attach after

Hi Everyone,
First of all I would want to appologise as I'm a complete beginer and the way might be very simple, but I don't can't figure out how.

I'm trying to make a gift box for my wife in order to fit an Apple watch box in the gift box.
Original project is the following:
animal crossing box | box base (onshape.com)

I think I'm doing everything correctly and I was about to start to print the base, but I realised that it doesn't fit on my 3D printer bed as it's more than 220mm horizontaly .

I can do it vertically, but it looks like I will use a lot of fillament because of support and I wouldn't have an easy way to confirm that this size would actually fit the present, so horisontaly could help me with that.

I'm trying to find a way to split the box in two and maybe have some simple mechanism to snap them both after printing so I can print them horisontaly.
I can split it in half fairly easily, but what I struggle with  is connecting them after.

Can anyone give  me any suggestion?

My project is the following : 
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bca3504e948fed1a05ec14f6/w/ccd9ae8d900f8d3adcc70a3b/e/f8fedf867232f9941c9aebbb?renderMode=0&uiState=659fbe3c1c67c148e68ef9f1

Any help would be highly appreciated

Comments

• Options
    Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields Member Posts: 230 PRO
    I think you could split the box in half and then use those lateral ribbon parts as fasteners.  
  • Options
    petar_ivanov343petar_ivanov343 Member Posts: 4
    I think you could split the box in half and then use those lateral ribbon parts as fasteners.  
    That's a great idea actually. Thanks Matt. I will give it a try.
  • Options
    eldon_browneldon_brown Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    Some slicers have that "split with tabs" as a normal builtin function, as in PursaSlicer, thou I am not sure it is a sophisticated as desired.