Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

sheet metal bending drawing

alex_vestaalex_vesta Member Posts: 4
Hello, I am new in OnShape.
I'm trying to create sheet metal bending drawing, like this example. Thickness is 3 mm, also rounded corners. The detail is simple, but I got confused in numerous settings and templates, and the help tooltips don't look clear enough. Can anyone help me?

Answers

• Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    Do you just want a flat pattern?
  • Options
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ab85317501e66bb0af3c780a/w/565d468d3c78d77c0b181756/e/83f5ab423d4c01b663aa9158

Just Copy and edit, adjust the dimensions to your liking and you are ready.

Use the rollback bar in the Partstudio to see how it is done.
  • Options
    alex_vestaalex_vesta Member Posts: 4
    2D drawing will be enough, but 3D drawing will be good, as I need to give the drawing to the craftsman to make the part. Previously, I used SmartDraw CAD drawing, for simple figures it turned out to be quite handy, although my drawings did not always look very professional.
  • Options
    alex_vestasalex_vestas Member Posts: 34
    Thank you. I switched to PartStudio 1, then created copy, but can't get how to change dimensions. Dragging borders by mouse don't work, can't find what instruments/menu I should use.
  • Options
    edited January 21
    Double click on the sketch you want to edit, then double click on the dimension you want to edit.
    After that go to the drawing and click on update
  • Options
    Can't understand how to change the proportions of detail: I want increase or decrease part of 2D drawing, say in top view: clicking on any line of 2D drawing doesn't allow drag and move the target line. Clicking on dimensions value open small settings window where I can specify values, but without 'save' or 'cancel' button. Also, where is 'Update' button?

• Options
    You should edit in the Part studio not in the drawing.
    The drawing update button is on the left top corner.

And maybe its better to have a look at the learning center or do the Quickstart

• Options
    I tried in Part studio, but nothing changes. overall, looks quite difficult to learn

• Options
    Double click on sketch 1 and edit the dimension you want
  • Options
    I tried in Part studio, but nothing changes. overall, looks quite difficult to learn

• Options
    After ediiting the dimensions in Part studio, I see some parts of the detail in 'Drawing 1' tab went beyond the boundaries of the sheet, and stuck together with the top view . How to resolve this?

• Options
    I'm stuck also, what you want is realy very simple and creating a bracket like this and creating a Drawing of the bracket only take,s 15 or 20 minutes to create if only you would invest some time learning the basics of Onshape.

• Options
    lukas_szwugierlukas_szwugier Member Posts: 11 PRO
    After ediiting the dimensions in Part studio, I see some parts of the detail in 'Drawing 1' tab went beyond the boundaries of the sheet, and stuck together with the top view . How to resolve this?

Hi alex try to change drawing scale.

• Options
    lukas, Thank you very much.

I wanted to add 90 degree angle mark between the detail walls. I read manual: Part Studios > Sketch Tools > Dimension. I applied angle mark in 'Sketch 1', but it remains hidden, and also does not shown on the main 'Drawing1' drawing.
  • Options
    edited January 24
    It seem's to me that you are confused about a drawing and the sketch in a Part Studio.
    The editing of all the parameters, dimension,s angles you do in the Part Studio.
    And then you create the Drawing with all the neccesary view's and dimension's.
    You only have to do this once, after editing the Part Studio just click the yellow update icon.

• Options
    regarding the OnShape help docs, so the “Drawing” tab is not as independent container, but a part that is subordinate to the Part Studio container? After editing model in Part Studio, we need generate a new Drawing tab(version)?

• Options
    No, just click the than Yellow update button
  • Options
    rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    I'm hearing a lot of confusion here - see if this will help. A part studio sketch is used to create a 3d model, a 3d model is used to create a drawing which is then used to make blueprints. These steps have to be done in sequence, and to edit something, go to the previous step to make changes. I.E. make changes to model in the sketches - or make changes in drawing by changing the model (model will automatically update from sketch - but drawings need to be manually updated with that yellow button Dirk has described) Sorry if this seems overly simplistic, but I can remember the struggle all to well.
  • Options
    I want change dimensions in detail:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d7b1b8692866df96cbe6053d/w/f06bc1656a6a51d877776b2d/e/aab2055482980d4ec9195f01

In Part Studio1 tab, which left menu I should right click and edit:

Scetch1
    Sheet metal model1
    Scetch2
    Scetch3

I want specify dimensions:(with 3mm thickness of the metal):