Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Limited depth of folder structure

Simon_Bo_JensenSimon_Bo_Jensen Member Posts: 3 PRO
edited January 18 in Community Support
Hello 

Is it correctly understood that the maximum depth of a folder structure within a document is 3 folders? It is the folders containing the part studio, drawing and assembly tabs i am talking about. 

BR. Simon

Best Answer

• Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It looks like it. I can, though, create a nested folder three deep, and drop that into another nested folder, so it should create a nesting four or five deep, but then, I can't access Folder 4 or 5. I only get this far:

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    It looks like it. I can, though, create a nested folder three deep, and drop that into another nested folder, so it should create a nesting four or five deep, but then, I can't access Folder 4 or 5. I only get this far:

• Options
    edited January 18
    Hello 

That is an interesting workaround, thank you for sharing that. Using this method i can get a folder depth of 4, so one more than before. I can access the fourth folder. I will be using this method short term.

I do not know how this improvement suggestions are submitted (this is my first post). But I have added the tag 'improvement request', hopefully the Onshape developers will see this and increase the supported folder structure depth supported.  

BR. Simon 
  • Options
    I hadn't tried such deep folder structures before and just assumed the depth would theoretically be infinite. Your finding came as a surprise. 
    I find working with deeply nested tab folders a bit hard, for there is no convenient browser for this, resulting in a lot of mouseclicks required to navigate within. So I kept it rather flat for now and didn't yet get past three deep.

I wonder if some kind of assembly browser would be a solution here, for I mainly use these folders to keep assemblies and their resources together, and to save space in the tab bar, of course. I use in-context part studios a lot, so I get lots of individual part studio tabs to keep track of.
    I could possibly do without the tabs altogether, if a representation was accessible through the tree, I guess. The reason is that I can only have one tab folder open at any one time, then I need to go back to the root folder and follow a different branch. That's time consuming.

I could also imagine the tab bar being modified such as to allow more than one row of tabs and then represent a folder per row, when expanded.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,408
      :)
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    @martin_kopplow

I was a bit surprised as well of this folder structure depth limit.

I agree, there needs to be a good reason to use deep folder structures. In my case it is the simple fact that i have a lot of parts and drawings in the document which i wish to organize in a certain fashion.  

@NielCooke

Yes, that is a good suggestion

• Options
    @NeilCooke , oh, you're right! :s I always seem to forget about hat one.