Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Rollback to an old version?

Hello onShape users!

This may sound as a silly question, but how can I rollback to a previously saved version?

When I am trying to discard the changes in the Main workspace and open the old version
it is opened in a read only mode for some reasons.

I can see the "Version are in view mode" message.

Any hints on how to make it active are welcome

Have a nice weekend!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    edited December 2015
    You can either make a branch of that version and start from there or you can go to your edit history and restore from that period in time.  We don't have any way to discard all changes on the main branch right now.

To branch:
    1. Open the versions fly out and click the gear dropdown of the version you want to work from.  Select "Branch to create workspace..."

2. Enter a name and description of the branch and hit 'Create'.  This will put you in a new branch that starts from that version.  The branch can be seen in the top next to what the document is named.  In this case, my branch is called b1.

Restore workspace:
    1. Open the history flyout and find the entry that coincides with the version.  Click the gear and choose 'Restore'.

2. This should restore back to that state.

Finding the exact state of the version can be a bit difficult.
    1.png 123.2K
    2.png 118.9K
    3.png 138.3K
    4.png 133.5K
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    alexander_potochkinalexander_potochkin Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Hello Jake

It is a pity there is no an easy way to restore a saved version.

I am not sure I want to create a branch here, 
    looking through tons of command in history is also not very convenient.

Are you planning to simplify this quite a common functionality?

Thanks
    Alexander

• Options
    Hello Jake

Please file the request.
    A menu item which enables you to restore a version without branching
    would be very handy.

Thanks
    Alexander
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @alexander_potochkin
    What's wrong with branching? It's only a click of a button and your good to go..

If you could make changes to previously saved versions, what would be the meaning of them? What if multiple collaborators make their changes to saved version?

I hope we could be able to remove versions that are not branched to clean up the list and also to be able to first delete branch and then version if needed (only owner of the doc). Or maybe hiding would be enough?
    //rami
  • Options
    Hello Rami

There is nothing wrong with branching when you need to make a branch.
    But in this situation I don't need any branch, I just need to rollback to my previously saved version.

This is a pretty basic scenario which any version control system should allow without any branching.

Thanks
    Alexander
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    @alexander_potochkin
    Ok, so you need similar function that workspace history (clock icon) does? I checked that creating a version does not leave mark in history list but if you find the spot you should be able to rollback, right?
    //rami
  • Options
    Hello Rami

If there is an easy way to find a version mark in the history I would be able to rollback, that's right.
    However it will be way better if I could click to a version itself and restore it using the context menu.

Thanks
    Alexander