Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Shell not working on quarter of sphere

Frederick_BakerFrederick_Baker Member Posts: 6
I'm creating a hollow egg shape which consists of 4 separate quarters. When I go to use the shell feature, it will allow me to select one wall of the shell and functions properly but when I go to select the other, it stops working and gives me the error: Shell 1 did not regenerate properly: Could not shell part with selections. Is there any way to fix this or a work around because this ivital to my project. Thanks for any help

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,413
    The curvature is too tight on your splines. If it is less than 7mm then the shell will fail. Either swap the spline for arcs/ellipses (preferred) or right-click to show curvature/min radius of spline in sketch and adjust accordingly.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    When creating an egg, it is wise to constrain the top and bottom spline handle to horizontal. That will reduce strain on the curvature near the top and prevent a dent/pimple forming on the egg shell, too. Your tightest curvature, which is most likely to fail, is at the top. Also, this one egg shape looks as if it was made of more than one spline, and the two not being tangent where they meet, which is one thing known to create failures in a shelling feature.
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    The curvature is too tight on your splines. If it is less than 7mm then the shell will fail. Either swap the spline for arcs/ellipses (preferred) or right-click to show curvature/min radius of spline in sketch and adjust accordingly.
    Hey Neil, Thanks for the help but when I try to recreate the same shape using 3 point arcs, the problem seems to stay. How to I change the curvature of the spline and what do I need to change it to for the same shape to work? 
  • Options
    When creating an egg, it is wise to constrain the top and bottom spline handle to horizontal. That will reduce strain on the curvature near the top and prevent a dent/pimple forming on the egg shell, too. Your tightest curvature, which is most likely to fail, is at the top. Also, this one egg shape looks as if it was made of more than one spline, and the two not being tangent where they meet, which is one thing known to create failures in a shelling feature.
    Thanks Martin, I have made it work now by creating the entire shape in a single spline so there is no meeting point