Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Turn off constraint drawing ie.. old school

RgcoastyRgcoasty Member Posts: 8
25 years of drawing and I hate constraints. It's like a child drawing sloppy sketches and an adult has to come back and fix everything with constraints and dimensions. Why not draw it right the first time, and skip all the extra time consuming work to define and constrain everything.I'm about to glue my control key down. 

Is there a way to draw without using ANY constraints, or turn them off completely? I don't mean hide them, I mean turn them off.
‐--------
Try the following and you will see my point. 

Draw a corner to corner rectangle, then rotate it 45 degrees. You can't rotate it unless you delete all the constraints. This only takes 6 mouse click using the old school methods, but impossible with automatic constraints.

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,402
    The thing is, you can only draw it right first time if you're copying it off an existing drawing. What if you want to make changes? Constraints are your friend.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Oh and you can rotate it in 4 clicks with the transform tool.,
  • Options
    Make and rotate ??? 
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    The thing is, you can only draw it right first time if you're copying it off an existing drawing. What if you want to make changes? Constraints are your friend.
    So you are saying that every part i designed and drawn was wrong because i didnt use constraints? 

4 clicks to draw and rotate a square. Not possible with constraints. They are only good for people that make changes. Just draw 
  • Options
    NeilCooke said:
    Oh and you can rotate it in 4 clicks with the transform tool.,
    Draw AND rotate, with 4 clicks? Six for both old school. 
  • Options
    edited January 30
    Rgcoasty said:
    They are only good for people that make changes. Just draw.
    You must be the only person in the history of engineering that never makes mistakes. Hat tip to you, sir.
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    Rgcoasty said:
    ...Why not draw it right the first time, and skip all the extra time consuming work to define and constrain everything.

Is there a way to draw without using ANY constraints, or turn them off completely? I don't mean hide them, I mean turn them off.
    ‐--------
    Draw a corner to corner rectangle, then rotate it 45 degrees. You can't rotate it unless you delete all the constraints. This only takes 6 mouse click using the old school methods, but impossible with automatic constraints.

Show us an example of a sketch drawn right, without any constraints.  For your example of a corner-to-corner rectangle, there is a SINGLE horizontal constraint that prevents rotation.  Fix one corner (or constrain it coincident to the origin, either automatically ... or manually if you want to go old-school).  Now delete that one solitary horizontal constraint.  Click and drag another vertex to rotate the rectangle freely (but I highly recommend constraining the orientation with a dimension or geometric constraint of some sort).

Onshape is friendlier than any CAD software that I have used, with regard to automatic sketch constraints.  Try sketching in Creo sometime.  Some platforms would constrain that rectangle with a pair of horizontal constraints and two more verticals (and automatically populate dimensions to constrain size and position).  Onshape places perpendicular and parallel constraints complemented by just that one pesky horizontal (which much of the time is exactly what's needed).

Constraints are a valuable tool for capturing design intent.  For example, is a feature intended to be a fixed distance from the edge or rather centered on the part.  If you constrain your sketches well then you can really start to leverage the power of parametric, feature-based CAD.

I agree that automatic constraints algorithms do not anticipate my intent with 100% accuracy.  Hold down the shift key to over-ride that functionality on the fly.  For the full experience hold the shift key down and use the line tool to make your own rectangles in any orientation you like (rather tricky to get all four sides perpendicular to their neighbors without constraints though).
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 670 PRO
    Without constraints, you could not event draw a simple rectangle. There would be a tiny gap at its corners. Constraints are what keep the corners closed.
  • Options
    ShapenShapen Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Rgcoasty said:
    25 years of drawing and I hate constraints. 

In my opinion your inability to learn how a tool works does not mean that Onshape should create additional options for you. It sounds like Onshape might not be the best fit for you. Maybe something like AutoCAD, SketchUp, or Blender would be a better option.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,516 PRO
    Yeah @Rgcoasty, I'd say parametric CAD isn't for you if you don't want any constraints...

Also, have you tried, 

to make an angled rectangle in 3 clicks? 
  • Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
    Rgcoasty said:

I would suggest something like Sketch-up might be a more suitable design software for you needs. It has a free-er workflow although can only go so far when it comes to furthering the project on to manufacture and is un-reliable for accuracy and doesn't play well with professional CAD packages.