Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Path length constraint request

Chris_KellyChris_Kelly Member Posts: 6
There has long been regret that Onshape does not have the capability to constrain or dimension arc lengths or path lengths like Solidworks can. It would help in many scenarios to be able to give an equal constraint to an arc length and line, or give an arc a specific dimension. Specifically, this would be helpful for complex belt paths and center-to-center distances, but I have no doubt it would come in handy in other ways.

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,379 PRO
    edited January 31
    Arc length dimensions work just fine. Spline length is not currently possible.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/sketch-tools-dimension.htm#ArcLengthDesktop
  • Options
    matthew_stacymatthew_stacy Member Posts: 476 PRO
    S1mon said:
    Arc length dimensions work just fine. Spline length is not currently possible.

https://cad.onshape.com/help/Content/sketch-tools-dimension.htm#ArcLengthDesktop
    Arc length seems to work just fine on splines.  Please see if this example meets the functional intent?  The task gets more complicated if the intent is to compound multiple sketch elements (line segments, arcs, splines, etc) together. 

• Options
    Hmm. I tried dimensioning the length of a Bézier spline and couldn’t get that to work. Perhaps it works with through point splines but not Béziers?
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited February 1
    The important part is not only being able to dimension a full curve's or path's length, but also so use a dimensioned constraint on points on that curve. I know there are workarounds that involve creating a point on the curve via mate or a plane in 3D, but it shoud be directly possible as a driving dimension in sketches.

• Options
    Chris_KellyChris_Kelly Member Posts: 6
    Thank you! This the arc length dimension feature is certainly not well known and hard to learn by yourself. I still would like to request something similar to what Solidworks has now, where you can dimension or define a path length, which could be a set of lines and arcs that make a path, for the purpose of doing complex belt and chain runs.
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 584 ✭✭✭
    Out of curiosity I tried the curve length dimension on some curves including a Bezier spline. Seems to work OK. I also adjusted the path length with a good result. You'll notice that at least one point n the splines is not fixed. Fixing that last point causes an error of course unless the path length is removed then reapplied as ref. I was not able to get a cumulative path length with the measure tool.

• Options
    edited February 1
    I figured out why I couldn't get the arc length dimension to work on splines - the dimensioning process is completely different than an arc. For arcs, because a single click gives you a radius, you have to click each end point and then the curve to get arc length. For splines, you just click the spline curve itself and it gives you a path length dimension.

I've made this same mistake before. 
    https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/20710/dimension-a-spline-lenght-in-a-sketch

In my defense, I would argue that the Help is incorrect/incomplete when it comes to curve length: