Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Folder Fright! I need a sedative!

peter_cuthbertpeter_cuthbert Member Posts: 45
Good Morning from Cymru on yet another wet day.

I have engaged in some Spring Cleaning as I was having difficulty finding files in the rather long list.  After all, "Learn OnShape in 100 days" is far from parsimonious with storage space.  Having created what seemed like a sensible list of folders I shifted every file into its 'sensible' folder.  Next I thought I would carry on with the nearly finished Oscillating Steam Engine drawing.  Unfortunately, OnShape refused to open the folder.  I tried all the other folders with the same result.  No access.

So my question is whether OnShape Free does not allow folders, but if so why has that option been left in the 'Create' menu?  If it does allow folders, then how can I get into the ones I have created?  I have delved into the Help but cannot find anything of use.

As you can imagine the thought of losing all those hours of work is not a happy prospect.

Your advice would be very welcome.

Regards

Pete

Comments

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,436
    Not sure what is going on, but nothing is lost. When you say "refused to open the folder" what was the message? If you created the folders, you own the folders and have full rights. You can open a support ticket through Help > Report a bug if needed.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    peter_cuthbertpeter_cuthbert Member Posts: 45
    Hi

Many thanks for you observation for what is mostly a trivial problem since it only affected me.  The good news is that the crisis happened this morning in that clicking on folders produced nothing, neither error messages of a new screen listing the contents.  I should have thought at the time, of the old fashioned computer computer solution.  "If it locks up, just switch off and try again later".  Anyway, household circumstnces meant that is exactly what I did and this afternoon everything works perfectly.  Folders open, drawings save, and all is well apart from my feeling rather foolish, but then as a Newbie, that is so often the case when somebody provides a simple solution to one's problem.

Many thanks

Pete