Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Custom Drawing Templates - Improvement Request

chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
I am familiar with the process of creating a drawing using "Custom Templates" but do not understand how to save my preferences as a permanent template for future use.  

Some time ago (pre- Custom Templates) I customized a public Onshape template, and could call this template for my drawings from "My Templates".

What I would like to do is create 3 drawing templates and store them in "My Templates" so I can automatically call any of them to produce a drawing.

Below is a list of what I need:

1.  ISO A3, ISO A4 Landscape, ISO A4 Portrait, all with 3rd Angle Projection.

2.  Notes Boxes to default to "Horiz Centered" and "Vert Middle".

3.  The ability to insert a .png file image of a logo. (I don't think this is possible yet but it is on my wishlist)

Answers

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited December 2015
    Another request for drawings is the ability to call up my custom templates when adding extra sheets to a drawing. At the moment I can only my custom template on the first sheet.
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • john_henryjohn_henry Member Posts: 1
    also is there a function to have drawings in colour?
  • jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Hello chrisjh777,

We don't have a direct way of saving the template, but if you create a blank drawing with your desired customization, you should be able to export it out as a DWG file.  From here, you can change the extension to be .DWT instead of .DWG and re-import it into a document.  Then you should be able to access this .DWT file as one of your templates when creating a drawing.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    @jakeramsley is there any way to get your template onto the second sheet of the drawings?
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • jon_mcintyrejon_mcintyre Onshape Employees Posts: 56
    Bruce, we have plans to make a template selectable when adding sheets to drawings, but right now it can't be selected at (or after) sheet creation time.  The only workaround is to create a .DWT file which has a second sheet with the template desired for additional sheets, and import that.   When initially creating the drawing, the second sheet of your selected template is remembered and reused later when additional sheets are added. 

• chrisjh777chrisjh777 Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭✭
    @jakeramsley is there any way to get your template onto the second sheet of the drawings?
    Hi Bruce,

My Onshape 2nd Sheet Process (fresh out of the oven tonight!!)

1. Create an Onshape drawing of your template first sheet.

2. Export the drawing (as a .dwg) to a location where you can work on it.

3. Open the exported .dwg file with DraftSight (or AutoCad).

4. The Drawing Sheet 1 Tab should look something like this:

Template ContinuationPNG

5. In Sheet 1 Tab, Window Select the title block and copy it.

6. Click the Tab “TEMPLATE_CONTINUATION_SHEET”.

7. Window Select any existing Title Block and delete it.

8. Roughly select a window anywhere in the sheet and paste the copied Title Block.

9. Window Select the pasted Title Block.

9. Type the command “Move” into the command line.

10. Grab any corner of the Selected Title Block and drag it to the desired location, e.g. Lower RH Corner.

11. Save As a .dwt file.

12. Open your template file document in Onshape.

13. Use the “+” menu in the lower LH Corner and choose Import to import the saved “.dwt” file.  This will create a new Tab containing your Template complete with “Continuation” Sheets.

14. Rename the Tab to whatever you want (like "Bruce's A3 Landscape 3rd Angle Multiple Sheets Template").

It’s lot of stuffing around, but after many hours I have managed to create templates for A4 Landscape, A4 Portrait and A3 Landscape in 3rd Angle Projection with most of the Title Block prefilled with my info.  I've tested all combinations and it works for me.

You can see my handiwork here if you want to test continuation additional sheets:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b6a7a25fff2d4b55ae801952/w/d179b010a1bc4f55a1aa1dea

I still have to work out how to Insert a permanent bitmap image for my Logo.  I found an easy to follow process in the link below, but still get a coloured box over my logo.  Still have some investigation to uncover why.

http://autocadtips1.com/2013/02/22/embed-a-picture-not-as-a-reference/

Have a Great 2016
  • andreas_heintzeandreas_heintze Member Posts: 1
    Hi, 

we have the same problem with the logo. Inserting a picture (jpeg, png, tiff) works in AutoCAD as an embedded image, not a reference and it will be permanently bound to the dwt.

However the image is not visible in Onshape, only the outline of the graphic. 

We have tried may versions of graphics, to no success.
  • Andrew_Enslow_HPIAndrew_Enslow_HPI Member Posts: 23 ✭✭✭
    I found a simple work around for this:

1. Make a drawing with all of the tables, notes and diagrams you would want in your template.
    2. Save it on your computer as a DWG. (This file on your computer is now effectively a template.)
    3. Use "Upload" to add this template to a document when you want a new drawing.

The good news is if you have a simple document for templates you can have them safe and sound on onshape and edit them any time you need them.
  • steve_maiettasteve_maietta Member Posts: 54 PRO
    PLEASE, allow custom sizes for drawing templates.  Or at the least, offer a few bigger than A,B,C,D.  1:1 scale DXF exports are important for many CNC industries, and allowing 1:1 size drawings of these bigger parts that we can then export as DXF, to run in our machines...   Would eliminate a few steps/softwares/chance for mess ups.

So.... in custom templates, just let us specify a LxW of the drawing template.

thanks!

~Steve Maietta
  • PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 516
    @steve_maietta  You can now currently open up the sheet properties for a drawing and change the size to any custom value of your choosing.  You can then save the drawing as a DWT if you want to keep it as a template for any new drawings.

Improvements to Onshape - May 24th, 2017 — Onshape

• steve_maiettasteve_maietta Member Posts: 54 PRO
    Thank You Pete, for the info!!!!!!!!

~Steve