Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do you make plain/printed text on a surface (no extrusion)?

gprossergprosser Member Posts: 2
I have sketched text on a surface and just want it to appear as printed black text on a surface without any extrusion or other feature. How can I best go about this?

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,551
    Split face
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,822 PRO

Here's a custom feature, Text, that has the "Split face" option directly within the text feature. 

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • don_bdon_b Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    I sure am missing something....I do not see OP plain "printed black text" on text example....I can not find a "split face" button as an option for the Text routine in the sketch routine
  • jtedeschijtedeschi Member Posts: 2 PRO
    Have you tried using Decal?

@don_b the example I gave is for a custom feature, not the native sketcher text feature. In the custom feature, there is an option for splitting the face instead of create new or add.

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
    jtedeschi said:
    Have you tried using Decal?
    I have tried decal.....does not transfer to a drawing or at least I was not able to get the decal on a drawing.....best option I have found is a note positioned on a drawing for example keeping track of what flat pattern is for what part when printing flat patterns to be used to build parts....it is also much easier to make a note rather than a decal.

@don_b the example I gave is for a custom feature, not the native sketcher text feature. In the custom feature, there is an option for splitting the face instead of create new or add.

is your custom feature what Neil is talking about?
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,687 PRO
    Decals will show up on drawings if you use a shaded view. Depending on your needs, it may be helpful or not. 
    edited February 23

@don_b
    He's talking about the technique of splitting the face of your part using a sketch containing text. Which my feature does automatically. But no, he was not talking about my feature.

edited February 23
    found it.....thank you .....

never thought putting text on a part would be so interesting