Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Evenly spaced dashed lines on a multipart model

daniel_chowdaniel_chow Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
Link to the document

Hello everyone, 

Thanks in advance for answering my questions, I'm on vacation and spending much of it learning this awesome tool called onShape, maybe you heard of it? :)

So I have a multipart model, I've started a new sketch on a cylindrical object. The entities of my new sketch have evenly spaced dotted lines. So they are not construction lines. From what I understand from this and this information I found, the dotted lines show sketch entities that are obscured by other parts. 

Ok I get that but I am not able to revolve extrude my new sketch. Any ideas here? 

Alright here's what I'm trying to do. Linear pattern a coarse thread down the length of the shaft. Here are the parts: vase, jaw and shaft

Here is the problem. I used the "use" tool in my sketch, double checked that the sketch entities are connected. You can see it turns into evenly spaced dashed lines. 

And here's the problem. When I go to try revolve/extrude it, can't select the sketch entities.. 

Best Answer

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Answer ✓
    Hi Daniel, it's probably because the part face is in the way. You should either RMB > Select Other, or quite often what I do is hide the parts which are obscuring the sketch, select what I need to, then unhide the part again before pressing OK so the part is used in the merge scope.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    Answer ✓
    Hi Daniel, it's probably because the part face is in the way. You should either RMB > Select Other, or quite often what I do is hide the parts which are obscuring the sketch, select what I need to, then unhide the part again before pressing OK so the part is used in the merge scope.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • daniel_chowdaniel_chow Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Thanks Neil it worked! I'm a bit disappointed I couldn't figure that out myself, I almost had it! I knew the even dashed lines meant it was obscured by a part but I wasn't sure what to do with it. 

Here is the solution in greater detail for anyone else wondering how to do this:

When sketch entities is obscured by a part you will see an evenly dashed line. An UNEVEN dashed line is different, those are CONSTRUCTION LINES. Simply hide the part that is obstructing the sketch entity. THe dashed lines will become solid because they are not longer obstructed and you can use those entities to extrude.

Go ahead and make your extrusion, in my case, I am revolve / extruding. 

Now make the part that was interfering with your sketch visible again. You will see interference, then use the boolean tool to remove. Or in this case, to make this vise model i'm trying to copy, you need to repeat that new part using the linear pattern tool and then use Boolean tool to remove all the parts.