Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Issue with radius?

jonas_claessonjonas_claesson Member Posts: 4

Hello everyone,

I'm currently encountering an issue with achieving a smooth radius in Onshape for 3D printing, and it's not just a visual artifact. Despite my efforts, the angular appearance of the radius persists even after exporting the model to STL and importing it into my 3D slicer.

I haven't made any specific adjustments or modifications to settings as I'm not sure what to look for. From what I've gathered in other threads, this issue seems to be related to visual rendering only. However, in my case, the angular appearance of the radius carries over into the final 3D printed object.

Could anyone provide insight into what might be causing this issue and how I can address it? I'm open to any suggestions or recommended workflows to ensure a smoother radius in my 3D printed models.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Best regards,
Jonas Claesson

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,415
    Export the STL at a finer tolerance?
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    jonas_claessonjonas_claesson Member Posts: 4
    Default export is set to fine. Maybe custom settings can solve this issue, but what specific values should I use for the best result? As now it´s clear the STL export inherit the look of the part. I assume the appearance is designed to facilitate rendering. The radius appears to consist of many straight lines pieced together.

• Options
    rafael_telgmannrafael_telgmann Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I had the same problems some times. Exporting as .stp solved the problem in all my cases. 
    Sometimes it is necessery to chose the „….b-sides“option in the export options menu.