Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How do I enter dimensions in Fractions of an inch?

I want to have all my measurements in Feet, inches and fractions of inches.  How can I accomplish this?

Answers

• daniel_chowdaniel_chow Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Beside the OnShape text at the top RIGHT of the screen, you will see an options icon with three horizontal lines. Click it > Default Unit Length > Foot

Now you can enter your units as feet. 1 1/2 feet can be entered as "1.5" etc... 

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    You can also easily mix units within a part by specifying the units in the dimension.  For example if your part is in inches but you want to specify some dimensions in feet and inches you can enter (1+7/12)ft.  If you want to include fractions of an inch it becomes slightly more complex, such as (1+(7/12)+(1/12)*(9/16))ft which equals 1 foot, 7/12 of a foot (7 inches), (1/12)*(9/16) of a foot = 1/12 of a foot (1 inch) times 9/16 = 9/16 of an inch.  
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • david_hambletondavid_hambleton Member Posts: 2
    So, what you are saying is, there is no simple way to design and label with fractions of inches like a carpenter in the United States would use? 

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,308
    No there is no simple way to dimension in feet and inches as you would on a drawing board. Your best bet would be to keep it in inches then the calculation is not so onerous. 3D CAD systems need floating point numbers to calculate exact sizes, so numbers need to be input the same way as you would on a scientific calculator. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • ilya_baranilya_baran Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 1,173
    You can enter
    1ft+(7+9/16)in
    which looks a bit better.
    Ilya Baran \ VP, Architecture and FeatureScript \ Onshape Inc