Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Putting Text Information in Model

colin_starker933colin_starker933 Member Posts: 13 EDU
edited March 14 in Community Support

********** I'm not posting to debate so please do not respond trying to convince me of anything, just move on (even if you're a dev). **********

I need some way of putting text information in the CAD model. Normally, I would make heavy use of 3D leader text and general notes, but OnShape lacks this.

I looked for something similar to the Engineer’s Notebook in Inventor. I found nothing that’s native or in extension.

Next, I looked to Properties for a field that is instance-unique (only visible in the Properties of a specific instance in an assembly and not propagated to the part in general). This also does not exist natively or in extensions.

I found Comments, but I don’t really want to use these for this purpose. Comments are for, as the name suggests, commenting and making suggestions. It would be bad practice to put important information and hyperlinks in these.

Until we move our simulation over to OnShape, we will have a ton of unlinked simulations. In SolidWorks, we had notes and leaders all over the place containing links and explanations. This is pretty much non-negotiable for us. I hate to be the guy that says his request is a “basic feature”, but this truly is a basic feature that’s missing. Engineers need to make notes.

Does anyone know of any hidden features of extensions that I haven’t found that allow me to add notes to models?

********** I'm not posting to debate so please do not respond trying to convince me of anything, just move on (even if you're a dev). **********

Best Answer

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,412
    Answer ✓
    Move on.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI

Answers

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 670 PRO
    I suppose you could make the text an actual solid like this:

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,412
    Answer ✓
    Move on.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    I suppose you could make the text an actual solid like this:

That's creative...

Proper orbiting was eventually added, despite the devs insisting that it was not an established CAD standard. Let's hope the pattern holds and we get notes and leaders.
  • Options
    adrian_vlzkzadrian_vlzkz Member Posts: 258 PRO
    I second the request for this functionality, especially in assemblies. Design communication is a key component of collaboration, and no we are not talking full MBD, just basic dimensions and annotations, for design review and history.
    Adrian V. | Onshape Ambassador
    CAD Engineering Manager
  • Options
    jnewth_onshapejnewth_onshape Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 58
    edited March 16
    When I was a SolidWorks user, I also used annotations in models for this purpose. For similar notekeeping in Onshape I now create a Feature Studio and use it as a text editor. The notes aren't overlaid on the model but they travel with the document which is sufficient for my needs.
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited March 16
    I have been using text on models in the past (old CAD, where it was implemented), and even if it was not any standard, it helped to intuitively keep certain notes in the right context. I'd very much welcome it being available in OS, too, for 3D notes with leader would just be one little helper that makes everyday CAD-life a little easier.
    Alternatively, I could imagine the existing comments receiving an upgrade by an added reference mark, which could be placed on the model (just drag little tag icon from below the comment onto model entity) to bi-directionally link to the respective comment when clicked upon.

@colin_starker933 You don't even need to extrude your text, the sketch alone might do.

• Options
    Ste_WilsonSte_Wilson Member Posts: 208 EDU
    edited March 16
    Comments can be attached to features. Would that do the job?
    Keeps the model clutter free but information still related.
  • Options
    Comments can be attached to features. Would that do the job?
    Keeps the model clutter free but information still related.

This is very close to doing the job, but comments appear to be applied at the document level, not the assembly level. For this to work, the comments would need to be pulled by any document that pulls the assembly.
  • Options
    I have been using text on models in the past (old CAD, where it was implemented), and even if it was not any standard, it helped to intuitively keep certain notes in the right context. I'd very much welcome it being available in OS, too, for 3D notes with leader would just be one little helper that makes everyday CAD-life a little easier.
    Alternatively, I could imagine the existing comments receiving an upgrade by an added reference mark, which could be placed on the model (just drag little tag icon from below the comment onto model entity) to bi-directionally link to the respective comment when clicked upon.

@colin_starker933 You don't even need to extrude your text, the sketch alone might do.

This does serve the same purpose, but there is no way the people I work with will accept this.