Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Slow preparation speed

crispy_meloncrispy_melon Member Posts: 4
I've been working on a model recently and it's slowly become harder and harder to actually make new extrudes and fillets and all due to the "preparation time" I'm unsure what the problem is, I'm fairly new to onshape but, this doesn't seem normal. I have a high end gaming PC with a high end CPU too. I checked the performance tab and nothing seems to make sense for causing the performance issue. I've tried testing my browser compatibility along with other recommendations but nothing seems to help reduce the nearly 10 second preparation time. it really causes it to be almost impossible to work on the model. anyone have any recommendations?  

Comments

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,524 PRO
    I've been experiencing this to some extent as well...
    I have noticed this in the changelog from today's release:
    "Fixed an underlying issue that can cause slowness when editing features and sketches"

I'm hoping that will help, check to see if it still happens after your document is updated to the latest version...
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,414
    @crispy_melon your feature count is creeping up. Too many and you’ll have slow regeneration to contend with as well. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    A customer reported problems working with features. They worked with us to identify the problem. We then fixed it. We also saw from logs that other customers were likely affected and should now see better performance opening features and sketches in some cases. However, the fix that was made may not help in all cases. I would encourage customers that have performance issues to write tickets so that we can chase these issues down and fix them. 
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,384 PRO
    I should write a ticket for this, but one of the slowest features in many of my models is Derive. When this is done with a version, I don't really understand why it needs to be so slow. I would think that it would be cached and have a very low rebuild time.
  • Options
    paul_chastellpaul_chastell Onshape Employees Posts: 124
    Yeah, I would stick a ticket in @S1mon because I would expect that if the source of the derive is versioned then it would not need to regenerate that source part. If you do stick in a ticket it would be very useful to include a time at which you saw this happen: makes it easier to track down related events in the logs. 
    Paul Chastell
    TVP, Onshape R&D
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,524 PRO
    The document I was working in had other issues (sheet metal instability) so I didn't want to "muddy the waters" with that...
    However if I still see long "preparation" times after it has been updated to latest version I will submit a ticket.
  • Options
    crispy_meloncrispy_melon Member Posts: 4
    Thankyou for all the feedback! It's very helpful for a quite inexperienced Onshape user like myself.