Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Onshape Input Devices

matthew_loew_1matthew_loew_1 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
I recently purchased a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14 (laptop/tablet hybrid). Since there are no touchscreen inputs enabled in Onshape I'm stuck using traditional input devices still. Any opinions on the best mouse, trackball, joystick(!), etc. options out there?
Matthew Loew
Tera Development Solutions

Comments

• julian_lelandjulian_leland Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 59 PRO
    @matthewloew‌ - I'm in a similar situation (I have a Sony Vaio Flip 13) - I use a Microsoft Sculpt Comfort bluetooth mouse, so as not to take up one of the 2 USB ports I have. It's great for most things in OS, except that the scroll wheel has a horizontal scroll, which is easy to trigger if I'm holding down MMB to rotate the view (holdover habit from SolidWorks). Hopefully, we'll soon have basic control over input configuration and can address this.

Putting mouse choices asides, though - I agree that it would also be great to have more input methods available! I'd like to see touchscreen and pen/stylus input - I'm curious what others would be interested in.
  • fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    I would buy a stylus tomorrow if I could use it with OS on my Nexus 7.
  • pete_yodispete_yodis OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 666 ✭✭✭
    In due time I wonder about output devices... Google glass? That would be cool.
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    Fastway Jim, I think you'll want finger picks vs. a stylus as tablet inputs require one, two & three finger inputs. ie.. 2 fingers to pan, 3 fingers to rotate.

I use an apple magic mouse and it works great in OS. It does have issues with microsoft derived programs.

• fastwayjimfastwayjim Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 220 PRO
    @bill - You know I was thinking about that, so I had an idea - What about chopstick styli? This would give the user precision, versatility, and the ability to eat sushi while using OS!
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,014 PRO
    I like it, but it might get messy.
  • Marta_MilewczykMarta_Milewczyk Member Posts: 3
    billy2 said:
    Fastway Jim, I think you'll want finger picks vs. a stylus as tablet inputs require one, two & three finger inputs. ie.. 2 fingers to pan, 3 fingers to rotate.

I use an apple magic mouse and it works great in OS. It does have issues with microsoft derived programs.

How do you rotate model with using magic mouse? Today I am trying to use onshape first time in mac os and I have troubles with some actions.
  • Jake_RosenfeldJake_Rosenfeld Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 1,646
    @Marta_Milewczyk

Right clicking may be disabled in your settings, try going to System Preferences > Mouse and see if there's anything there to enable "Secondary click".
    Jake Rosenfeld - Modeling Team