Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Sheet nesting for parts

doug_hillsdoug_hills Member Posts: 26
Hi everyone,
I'd like to learn how to export the parts in a way that they can be imported to a nesting tool for sheet cutting.  ie panels for a cabinet, etc
https://deepnest.io/ was suggested to me in a FB forum.

If I export a "Drawing" of a part, the whole page gets exported and imported to the nesting software, and appears as an 8 1/2 x 11 "part" rather than the actual part.
I'd have to be able to export the " views" so you have the "face on" sizing of the part, rather than the "front" view of a slopped part.

Thanks for you guidance,

Doug

Comments

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 481 PRO
    @doug_hills
     RMB on the face of the part and select the DXF or DWG option. 
  • Options
    dave_lapthornedave_lapthorne Member, Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 14
    If you have multiple sheet metal models and flat patterns in your model you can choose to export all the flats in one step.
    1. Open the Sheet metal table and flat view from the right side toolbar
    2. RMB on the flat and select Export DXF/DWG
    3 Edit the export options to suit
    4. Under the Scope dropdown you can choose from the 3 export scope options.

• Options
    thank you, this doesn't fit my immediate requirement, as I doing wood. But who knows what I'll be doing next month.
  • Options
    Wayne, Thank you. As usual, so obvious, when you know where to look.... I also found that if you select the part first, the export isn't there. you have to RMB directly on the face, not the selected part. Thanks again.