Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

simulating gearbox

jumpjack_jumpjackjumpjack_jumpjack Member Posts: 20
I would like to simate a car gearbox.I already set up all the gears, now question is: can I record kind of a macro so that with just one click I get a joint changing from 'rotation'  to 'fixed' and another from 'fixed' to 'rotation'? 

Comments

• Options
    rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    You could try setting up configurations, but I'm not sure this is what you're after. Maybe someone else has more to add.
  • Options
    GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    If you just want to see the relative locations of the gear sets/shift forks/shift drum you could created a series of named positions. It worked well for a 6 speed sequential box (motorbike) that I created. 
  • Options
    What are "configurations" and "named positions"?
  • Options
    In this page you can see a simplified gearbox: Il cambio della Renault Captur E-Tech (jumpjack.github.io)

Moving the couplers (black vertical squares) changes how the gears are coupled to the axles. You can simulate such movement by clicking the table in lower part of the page.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,420
    What are "configurations" and "named positions"?
    Look to the right of the screen
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    "Configurations" seemed a good option... but unfortunately the connection type (rotating or fixed) is not supported. :-(