Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to make an assembly into a dumb solid outline 3D file from a STEP file in OnShape?

bob_swidarskibob_swidarski Member Posts: 7
What are the easiest ways to make (1) a part and (2) an assembly (or subassembly) into a dumb solid?   The idea being a packaging design team doesn't need to access to the valves inside an engine design to build a crate for it.

I have an existing STEP file from another source.   That STEP file has a number of parts. I am able to successfully group them into three sub assemblies.  I then want to export them individually into a dumb solid files.   

I had some success exporting them to a file type that would do this.   However, it was incorrect in that the parts instead of exporting as a solid block as oriented in the subassembly file it basically stacked all the parts centered on the origin.  

I'm sure it's a one or a mix of choosing the right document types, setting a property somewhere, separating the three subs into different tabs, creating part relationships in the subs or the right file type an export settings.

Can anyone walk through how to do this (or point to the right video or guide)?   
  • In OnShape.  
  • Using the existing STEP file. 
  • Assume it's provided by 3rd party 
  • And won't get editing in the source it can from.  
  • Only changes will occurs in OnShape. 

Much appreciated!

Best Answers

• NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,551
    edited March 30 Answer ✓
    Try this https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3f84343841cb6d7fead072c8 - removing internal detail is optional.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • bob_swidarskibob_swidarski Member Posts: 7
    Answer ✓
    How does one find the Simplify feature?  Not seeing it.  Thanks.
    edited March 31 Answer ✓
    Click on the link above then click the "+ add custom feature" button at the top to add to your toolbar

Answers

edited March 30 Answer ✓
    Try this https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3f84343841cb6d7fead072c8 - removing internal detail is optional.
    @NeilCooke Video is great.  Seems to do exactly what I am looking for.    HOWEVER   the Simplify feature... is that something extra?  I don't have access or can't find it.Said otherwise, how does one gain access to that feature?
    Answer ✓
    How does one find the Simplify feature?  Not seeing it.  Thanks.
    edited March 31 Answer ✓
    Click on the link above then click the "+ add custom feature" button at the top to add to your toolbar
    Beautiful.  Thank you.
    After simplify, I'm getting two parts as a result instead of one.   "Simplified Part"  and then another Part.   I tried with a couple starter files.

I'm following fine thru 4min, then at 4:11 I'm getting two parts instead of one simplified part.

File structure is .x_t.   Part A and Part B exist centered on the origin in a part studio tab.  On an assembly tab Part A and Part B have correct spacial orientation relative to each other.   I'm making the file per your video from that assembly tab and using origin as a reference.   I'm ending up with Simplified Part and Part B, Parts (2) at the bottom instead of one Simplified Part.