Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Introduction to CAD: In-Context Part Design 2

• If I project existing geometry onto a sketch plane, how I do I hide the object I projected from? It is hard for me to see what I have projected.

• What does it mean when the tutorial says on slide 2 "This will require converting edges from the clamp as well as the sleeves around the ends of the rods." (Does "converting" mean projecting? If not, what is "converting"?)

Best Answers

Answers

• noanoa Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 141
    @chimdi_mbagwu, I've updated the instructions to say that one should use the "Use" command. Thanks for the feedback! 
    Noa Flaherty / Customer Success / Onshape Inc.
  • chimdi_mbagwuchimdi_mbagwu Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2016
    You've changed the instructions? I am in awe. I never thought someone as lowly as myself would ever encounter a being with so much power.

Well, @noa Mighty Scribe of Tutorial Instructions, I assume you are an Onshapes master. 

Please take a few minutes from ruling justly over the Onshapes domain to answer another of my lowly questions:

You (or one of your underlings?) wrote in the instructions to project the edge of the clamp in order to remove material and give the clamp a slant. For some reason, I cannot select the trapezoid-shaped area in order to remove it. When I try to select it, I end up selecting a larger region.

This picture shows what I am referring to.

• chimdi_mbagwuchimdi_mbagwu Member Posts: 6
    @jakeramsley Thank you!

I see what you are referring to, but I don't know how to extend the line to the edge of the fillet.

• jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    If you edit your sketch 2, you should be able to use the 'Use' command and select that filleted edge.  Or, you can use the extend command, select the line you want to extend and move it beyond that other line.

So we have a sketch that looks roughly like this.  I have moved the camera off-center a bit to show that there is a gap missing.

First option would be to use the use command, and select that edge.  This will project the missing area into the sketch, such as below (apologies for the colors making the highlight harder to see).

At this point, you can see there is a bit of different color/greying where the triangle is.  This means that the region is closed and a region has been created.  We can now select this region and extrude it to give us our cut.  Since there is only one region, we can select it by either selecting it in the graphics area or by selecting the sketch feature in the feature tree.

The other option, would be to extend the line that is already there.

Choose the extend tool

Select the line towards the end point you want to extend.  Both the line and the end point should highlight yellow.  Move your mouse so that the new point is on or beyond the point you want to extend to.  The tool will find the nearest point/intersection and extend to that.  If no intersection, will extend the line to where you placed the point.

See how the region is fully enclosed.

The difference between the two is one creates a second line that is a projection of the filleted curve while the other extends the line and only one line is created.  It is very negligible difference in this case, however if you were to go upstream and delete the filleted section before you sketch, the second line would fail with the projection and still succeed from the extend.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com