Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

surface modeling help needed

creation_inkcreation_ink Member Posts: 4
Hi, I'm fairly new to onshape, but I have taught myself how to do 3d modeling on solidworks for some years. I'm working on a project that requires complex surfaces. I want to design a parametric slides/flip-flops model. I made an earlier version in solidworks, but i cant apply the same methods in onshape. I have made a detailed wire frame of the model, but I'm unable to create the surfaces out of it. Any advise, technique, best practices is appreciated 

Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,421
    Why can’t you apply the same methods you used in SolidWorks? Modelling in both systems is almost identical. 
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    creation_inkcreation_ink Member Posts: 4
    Hi Neil, thnx for your reply. In SolidWorks I can use multiple guidelines from 1 sketch (select open loop). In OnShape, it doesnt seem like it selects the whole open loop, only a segment of it. I want to create a boundary surface or loft surface between 2 closed projected curves/loops connected with guidelines. However I cant complete the loop as it eventually gives me an error the more guide lines I add. Maybe if I could show you the model it would be easier to spot my mistakes, but I'm not sure how.
  • Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,421
    Just share the URL, but it sounds like a selection issue. Once you've selected one item, expand the selection in the dialog and add more entities to it.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI