Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Apps vs the old way

colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
I really like the idea of having an integrated app for adding standards based hardware built into onshape.  However, after using the available apps I can say that it is about 20x faster to go to mcmaster carr...search for what I am looking for....download the solid model and then upload it into onshape than it is to use one of the hardware apps. 

I have found the search results do not return what I am looking for.  Typically there isnt enough detail given for the part I am interested in (vs. mcmaster carr).  

I know this will improve in the future (beta).  
Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    colemancoleman OS Professional Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    Additionally- If I use mcmaster carr (or other supplier website) I can also purchase what I am looking for from that site.  If I am designing and then want to order later...the the uploaded files contain the part number for easy ordering at a later date.  

What is the advantage to using the available apps? 

• Options
    Mitch_PricerMitch_Pricer OS Professional, Developers Posts: 27 PRO
    I second what @coleman is getting at here.

Are there any plans to easily integrate mcmaster carr models into Onshape? The way Fusion 360 handles this would be an excellent model to look at: where the mcmaster webpage would open in a new tab and subsequent downloaded parts would automatically be placed into their own part studios. 
  • Options
    robert_d_noftlerobert_d_noftle Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    I'm one of the guys responsible for the 3DX Certified Models app.  We also love McMaster Carr...it's what we want to be when we grow up :-)
    I want you to know that we are working to improve the search and product selection functionality in the app.  Thanks for your comments they are appreciated.
  • Options
    tom_scarincetom_scarince Member, Developers Posts: 47 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016

I also tried the 3DX app and tend to agree with the OP.  @Mitch_Pricer here's a few ideas:

I would be unlikely to go into 3DX, find a part and insert it into my design.  More likely I'll be on the manufacturer's website, find a part and then try to get a 3d model.  How about giving your customers/partners a "Send to Onshape" button?  Don't know if that suites your business model. 

What would be really powerful would be the ability to export a bill of material of the vendor parts directly into their shopping cart for final approval and ordering.  Ferinstance, Digikey (electronics supplier) has a means to import a .csv file into your account as a BOM.  You can then select the number of kits and how you want them packed (like parts together or grouped as kits) and then push it into your cart. If you could do that with McMaster directly from Onshape that would be excellent. 

• Options
    joe_dunnejoe_dunne Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 198
    Tom,

Awesome idea...  I really like the idea. BOM to shopping carts is REALLY a good idea..... 

We will continue to get Onshape enabled on part suppliers sites as well as integrated applications. They are not mutually exclusive. We are just starting. TraceParts stepped up to the plate very early. The more you guys ping the vendors and tell them you want Onshape format, the easier it is for me to get them onboard.  There is no supplier or parts catalog I would not work with today. So tell the vendors to give me a call :)

Joe
    Joe Dunne / Onshape, Inc.
  • Options

@joe_dunne glad you like the idea.  I've since discovered that Digikey also has an API for getting part info and creating orders: https://services.digikey.com/

Now if we can get the same from our favorite mechanical parts suppliers that would be cool.  I have half a mind to create something like that myself...

By the way, I requested Onshape API access over a week ago and haven't heard anything back at all yet.  I wonder if I mistyped my email or something.  If it is no longer open or not open to the likes of me I'll deal with it.  Can you look into it or let me know if I should retry? 

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I think apps are great way to accomplish something like @tom_scarince suggested. This is because the need for such service depends on your location.
    It would be terrible idea to stuff 'default' Onshape with services that are not available for everyone.

//rami
  • Options
    Just to update, Joe did reach out to me last week and we had a good conversation.