Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

S bend on profiled tube

PuckPuck Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
I am trying to model the S-bent tube from this drawing : 
I tried to first define the bend path and made some profile along the way to connect with a loft function without success. I thinking it would be easier to first make the straight tube and then apply the bending but I don't know which feature to use. I tried with metal sheets but it doesn´t look like the right tool for this example.

Thanks in advance

Answers

• Options
    john_lopez363john_lopez363 Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    Modeling a solid tube is not that complicated....however the inner hollow is another story.  Seems like the drawing is missing some critical info to accurately model the "hollow".

• Options
    rick_randallrick_randall Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
    Two separate lofts, one like John shows you above, to define the outside, then another that you subtract from the first. And yes you will need all new profiles, but might get away with using the same path.
    Good luck
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,415 PRO
    That drawing is very odd. It seems to be more schematic rather than to scale. I would have a very hard time interpreting where all the bends are. The wall thicknesses are not to scale at all.
  • Options
    PuckPuck Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    S1mon said:
    That drawing is very odd. It seems to be more schematic rather than to scale. I would have a very hard time interpreting where all the bends are. The wall thicknesses are not to scale at all.
    It would be very hard to read if to scale considering the lengths and thicknesses involved. Hopefully, humans are capable of abstraction.
  • Options
    john_lopez363john_lopez363 Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited May 8
    Considering the original drawing is missing critical dimensional details of the inside profile it is impossible to model the hollow accurately.

You can guess at the inner profile, or like Puck mentioned, "abstract", ...but if that is the case, might as well use a simple Shell operation instead!  The end result will be as good as any guess one would make.

@Puck To the OP...if that is not acceptable then further dimensional details must be obtained.