Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Is there a glossary of terms used in Onshape?

john_smith077john_smith077 Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in General
Hello

Is there a glossary of terms used in Onshape?

I am new to all this and words like "Feature" and "Sketch" have very precise meanings in Onshape. Maybe it could be broken down into:

a) A list of common engineering terms  (e.g. boss, fillet) 
b) A list of common geometry / parametric geometry terms  (e.g. co-incident, Normal, Perpendicular, + basics like: Face, Edge, )
c) A list of common CAD  terms (e.g. Extrude, Sweep, Loft)
d) A list of what Onshape-specifically means by any of the above.  (e.g. Use [tool], Sketch, Part, Model... )

Thanks

J

Tagged:

Comments

• viruviru Member, Developers Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    @john_smith077 , You can refer below image in which you will find shortcut key and glossary of term used in Onshape.

• john_smith077john_smith077 Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Thanks - however I think you miss the point I was making. 

That is a useful list of shortcuts. What I was looking for was a formal definition / description of what each term actually means.

P.S. Ah I get it! That very first shortcut  [shift]+[?]  is the possibly most useful...   ;^)

Gads there is so much technical speak/jargon here that I only half under.

Where can I find a glossary? 
  • brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
    edited January 2016
    Thank you - yes both look useful.
    However what I want most is a Onshape glossary, that defines exactly what Onshape means by each word. i.e. A short description of how each concept is used in Onshape and how it fits in so as to create a model.

e.g. Profile
    e.g. Document 
    e.g. Feature
    e.g. Sketch
    e.g. Constraint
    e.g. Part, Component, Work Plane, Draft, Assembly, Drawing, Body... 

...These are words that any English speaker half-knows what they mean, but we don't know exactly how they are used in Onshape. 
    If I could find a free wiki that could be used for the purpose it would be tempting to build one myself, as this would be a great way to learn!

e.g. Something analogous to this wiki site for shortcuts: 
    http://www.shortcutworld.com/en/win/MyLifeOrganized.html
    except focusing on jargon.

@john_smith077 ,You can refer below document in which you will find glossary of term used in Onshape.

Excellent thanks. Btw where did you find it? 

ASIDE: I find it ironic at best, that for an "in-the-cloud-everything" tool like Onshape, I am now resorting to an off-line copy of their glossary which I have now resorted to turning into dead trees !   :o

• emagdalenaC2iemagdalenaC2i Member, Developers, Channel partner Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    This could be very useful for the translation of Onshape and its documentation.

I hate when the english word is translated into spanish in 3 different ways.

Btw Onshape will be the first 3D CAD system that can translate properly the command "circle" into Spanish as "Círculo" (instead of "Circunferencia").
    Well... On second thought, the command should be called in English by its correct name: Disk ;-)
    Un saludo,

Eduardo Magdalena                         C2i Change 2 improve                         ☑ ¿Por qué no organizamos una reunión online?  
                                                                         Partner de PTC - Onshape                                     Averigua a quién conocemos en común
    While it's on my mind: Missing from Glossary of Onshape PDF: 
    - Part Studio
    edited January 2016
    @john_smith077 , You can refer below link for part studio and other term related to Onshape which is nicely provided and explained by Onshape in help document.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/index.htm#search-part studio
    also download the attached PDF file of help from below link.
    https://cad.onshape.com/help/PDF/Onshape.pdf

@Viru - Yes, that's useful too thanks.

Although a list of key terms, complete with nice short (not overly technical) descriptions is in some ways more useful.
    I have printed out the glossary of terms - which is short enough to print out and annotate by hand.

• paul_1paul_1 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    this question/discussion was suggested by the help system when i was about to ask one of my own:  i'm looking for a short description of the roles of each of the OS components, and their relationships.  e.g., "sketches are used to create parts.  many parts can be created from a single sketch, but only one sketch can be used to create a part".  frankly, i don't even know if that statement is true, and one of the reasons i don't know is because i can't find such a summary page, or document.  and of course, i chose "sketch" and "part" as examples:  i know just as little about the relationship between sketches and extrusions, or parts and assemblies, or lofts and extrusions.

the tutorials and videos are nice for learn-by-example, but at this point i really need to better understand the overall model of how everything fits together.
    Paul_1++