Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Improvements to Onshape - July 19th, 2024

cody_armstrongcody_armstrong Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers, csevp Posts: 215
edited August 12 in New in Onshape
We are officially in the second half of the year, and it's only going to get more exciting from here! This update is big, and includes some highly-requested features, improvements to recently-released features, and improvements we know many will appreciate. We hope you enjoy them.

GENERAL IMPROVEMENTS

DARK MODE (BETA)

Onshape now supports Dark mode in the Documents page, Feature studios, Variable studios, Part Studios, and assemblies.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/utoew6x55c

PART STUDIO IMPROVEMENTS

CLEAR MISSING REFERENCES

In our last update, we added a new View in repair feature that makes repairing broken references much easier. Based on your feedback with this new feature, we have added a new option to easily clear all missing references. This eliminates the need to select them one at a time.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/yvvb5bzyqe

CREATE SELECTION FOR FILL

A "Create selection" option has been added to the Fill feature. This makes it much easier to select a connected series of edges when defining a Fill.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/zwjj03xg81

FILTER PARTS LIST

You can now search and filter the Parts list. This is especially useful when you need a quick way to filter and select parts by name for operations like assigning materials, hiding/showing, and more.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/w1apgr5xo3

SKETCH IMPROVEMENTS

SKETCH EXPRESSIONS ON MOUSE HOVER

You can now hover over sketch dimensions and view the sketch expression associated with them.

SKETCH CONSTRAINT IMPROVEMENTS

When selecting sketch geometry, Onshape now prioritizes the selection of the entity that is not fully constrained when it overlaps with a fully constrained entity. This is especially important when deleting a sketch constraint and manually dragging an endpoint.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/81valqqcg8

DRAWING IMPROVEMENTS

FORESHORTENED DIMENSION IMPROVEMENTS

You can now apply foreshortened dimensions to non-cylindrical features.

SURFACE FINISH IMPROVEMENTS

Surface finish symbols can now be placed directly on faces. When placed, the appropriate dot arrowhead is shown.

RENDER STUDIO IMPROVEMENTS

REMOVE UNUSED APPEARANCES

You can now remove any unused appearances in Render Studio. As you experiment with different appearances, this new feature makes it easy to keep your appearance list clean.

https://onshape.wistia.com/medias/yhxy5g71a1

FEATURESCRIPT IMPROVEMENTS

SAFE NAVIGATION OPERATORS IN FEATURESCRIPT

We have added safe navigation operators to FeatureScript: a?.b and a?[b] now behave like a.b and a[b], respectively, except that if a is undefined, they evaluate to undefined instead of throwing an error. This is often referred to as optional chaining or Elvis operators in other languages.

LEARNING CENTER IMPROVEMENTS

RENDER STUDIO COURSE IMPROVEMENTS

All of the latest Render Studio improvements have been included in our new Introduction to Render Studio course.

NEW VIDEOS

We have added new videos explaining how to use Repair to fix broken references and Workspace Protection to better control changes on specific branches in the Version and history panel.

Please take a moment to try out these new features and improvements and leave your comments below. For a detailed list of all the changes in this update, please see the changelog.

Remember: The updates listed here are now live for all users when creating new Documents. Over the next few days, these features will also be available in Documents created before this update.
Tagged:

Comments

• shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 850 PRO
    A lot of nice ones here.  Clear out missing refs from list and filter parts list are my favs this round.
  • sebastian_glanznersebastian_glanzner Member, Developers Posts: 419 PRO
    edited July 19
    Dark mode works great! 
    I also noticed some nice colors in FeatureScript, when dark mode is active  B)

• tbhausentbhausen Member Posts: 1 PRO
    Thank you for Dark Mode.
  • BOA_TechnologyBOA_Technology Member, csevp Posts: 4 PRO
    Wow, we were just talking about how sketch manipulation could be improved. You read our mind with the sketch constraint improvement. This will make adjusting and testing complex sketches so much easier. And just about every user over here will be switching to dark mode. Keep getting after it!
    www.boafit.com
  • rafael_telgmannrafael_telgmann Member Posts: 93 ✭✭✭
    Wow... Dark mode, clear missing references, mouse over expressions, and  hiding/showing sketches with keyboard shortcuts while hovering over appearance panel (don't miss that=> changelog). Really great update! Thx :) 
  • bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @sebastian_glanzner in my dreams Sheet Meal Loft is a new wonder of the world in Dark Mode. :D
    Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• adam_gearyadam_geary Member, csevp Posts: 39 PRO
    DARK MODE!  Thank you!  I've been asking for that for years.   Now that my eyes are starting to have real problems, I appreciate it more than ever. 

Normally I'd be most excited for clearing missing references, which has been real irksome over the years, but dark mode steals the show.  And that sketch QOL improvement is also amazing.
  • Andre_ComellaAndre_Comella Member Posts: 57 PRO
    Amazing update!

My biggest criticism of Onshape has always been that too many operations require too many clicks. This update was a big step to remedying that
  • STEGSTEG Member, User Group Leader Posts: 85 PRO
    C'est dans les détails que j'aime Onshape et vous me surprenez à chaque mise à jour! 👌

BONUS: Je ne savais pas que j'aimerais autant le mode sombre mais étant daltonien, je peux maintenant voir facilement ce qui est en rouge sans demander à ma fille de venir m'aider! 👏

• chris_mattsonchris_mattson Member Posts: 4 EDU
    Onshape team, you guys are awesome. 
  • bill_schnoebelenbill_schnoebelen OS Professional, Developers, User Group Leader, csevp Posts: 119 PRO
    darkmode?true
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,727 PRO
    edited July 19
    The changelog has so many small fixes and improvements. 
    Yes! Thanks for the reminder. One that stood out to me that wasn't covered in the post:

"Support setting ‘Perspective’ and ‘Highlight boundary edges’ as defaults"

------

Also. Dark mode is making me much happier than I thought it might. Nice job!

It's curious that the constraints in the sketcher are still small pixelated GIFs with black on white or black on blue, unlike their treatment in the toolbar.

I really like the contrast between the constrained (now white) and the blue in the sketcher. This is much easier to see.
  • porter_keeleporter_keele Member Posts: 2
    I'm really glad that there's integrated dark mode now, my only notable complaint is that i wish the grey fill in for closed faces was a little darker so the sketch lines contrast better

• brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,140 PRO
    Awesome updates thanks. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • robert_johnstonrobert_johnston Member Posts: 31 PRO
    edited July 20
    @sebastian_glanzner @bryan_lagrange so eager for sheet metal loft!!! must be a huge sheet metal feaure update in the pipeline or all resources are concentrating on CNC milling/turning features.

Awesome update tho with Darkmode!!
  • rob_relvarob_relva Member Posts: 8
    Any chance we get dark mode into the drawings tab drawings also?

Sooo happy for it though, took me by surprise. much more restful on my eyes @ 6am

All I need now is that sheet_metal_loft feature I keep hearing about so I can finally make truncated cones ;)

• GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 170
    S1mon said:
    The changelog has so many small fixes and improvements. 
    Yes! Thanks for the reminder. One that stood out to me that wasn't covered in the post:

"Support setting ‘Perspective’ and ‘Highlight boundary edges’ as defaults"

------

Agreed this was a key thing to add - one that I’ve been advocating! It is a real quality of life improvement. 

• antero_nickantero_nick Member, csevp Posts: 16 PRO
    Thanks for Dark Mode!
  • billy2billy2 Member, OS Professional, Mentor, Developers, User Group Leader Posts: 2,056 PRO
    Thanks for clear missing references. 
  • S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,727 PRO
    I already have an improvement request to control what is selectable in Render Studio. I almost never want to apply an Appearance to a face, and yet it is the easiest thing to do. 

• mark_morgenmark_morgen Member Posts: 12
    Hello, Darkness!  Already looking forward to "Adjustable Gray between Black and White" Mode
    Thank you!