Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Auger Creation - Can anyone do this in Onshape

brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
edited July 2016 in Community Support
Hi all, I have a requirement for a design with an auger. I really want this to be a para-metric part done in Onshape, however I can't model it. Currently I am using a imported part and adjusting with a move face command but it would be better to have it built from scratch in Onshape with variables. Has anyone got idea's how to achieve this. 

see layout geo at:
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/35911b0d72b3496386b77be7/w/35662bd64d0f4167b8e6de73/e/59db176b8c03493398222b82

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Mitch_PricerMitch_Pricer OS Professional, Developers Posts: 27 PRO
    I would do it with three sketches and a helix:
    Sketch the center "post" and extruder it to the desired length (Variable 1), create a helix around the center post with the number of rotations or pitch desired (variable 2), and then create a plane at a curve point and sketch the dimensions of the profile to sweep around the helix. You could tie the dimensions of the profile to variables as well to make it very fast to modify all the way around.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    Thanks @_Dave_ that works well. Not sure why I couldn't get it myself, kinda got caught up on using the twin helix with a ruled surface which is not possible yet in Onshape. 
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Boy howdy I know how that is, Going down the tracks and can't get off. I was working with helix a few days ago so It's fresh on my mind.