Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

"Sketch could not be solved" Sketch entities turned red

H4NNE5H4NNE5 Member Posts: 6
I altered the distances of the pattern in linked document and suddenly they all turned red.
I don't understand what's going on...
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c85bfc792e2b432c9332b246/w/a1e9adede3b541d4a8a3deaa

Thanks
Hannes

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    Use feedback on ?-menu and ask straight from support. Usually sketch won't extrude if it can't get solved but your sketch extrude just fine.

Maybe you have accidentally drawn something extra there that can't be solved?
    //rami
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    You are dimensioning from the center of your circles as well as a point on the keys (that are defined to the circle).  This is causing the sketch to try to solve in both states which is inconsistent.  I suggest either changing some of the red dimension to be driven (just measuring the distance) rather than trying to constrain.
    Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com
  • Options
    H4NNE5H4NNE5 Member Posts: 6
    @jakeramsley
    I don't understand properly. You use serveral technical expressions which i can't comprehend: What's "point on the keys"? Also your last sentence is not clear to me.

I also altered the design according to the recommendations from another question.
  • Options
    jakeramsleyjakeramsley Member, Moderator, Onshape Employees, Developers Posts: 657
    Easier to explain with pictures:

If you right click on the dimension and choose "Change to driven dimension", the dimension will no longer act as a constraint but simply show the distance.  When I did it, I noticed that your pattern constraint from the center of the circles wasn't constrained and that the two lengths were trying to solve differently.  

You'll see that driven dimensions, the ones in grey, are now different than the 23.5 driving dimensions. 

You can rectify this by selecting the point that ends the pattern and the center of the circle and choosing coincident.  This will constrain these points to be the same place.

Jake Ramsley

Director of Quality Engineering & Release Manager              onshape.com